Whats a good SUNY(state university of New York) Engineering school?

In summary, the speaker is a student at City College of New York, but wants to transfer to a cheaper and less urban location with a lively college atmosphere. They are considering the SUNY system for financial reasons and are specifically interested in engineering majors. They are open to suggestions and mention Buffalo as a potential option with a strong engineering program.
Bigman
currently I'm a student at the City College of New York, but New York City is expensive as hell to live in, I plain just don't like the city, and the reason I've been living here has been to be with my girl friend, who I'm breaking up with. So, I want to transfer somewhere, some place that's cheaper, less urban and with a lively college atmosphere. i'd love to move to cali or florida or someplace warm, but then i'd have to pay out of state tuition, so i think my only (cheap) option is something in the SUNY system. if anyone's familiar with the SUNY system as far as engineering majors go and has any thoughts, i would love to hear them, and if anyone knows of a way to study out of state for cheap, i would love to hear that even more! ~TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Buffalo, it has one of the better engineering schools. I got my physics degrees there in the '80's and '90's.

I'm not sure about engineering, but Stony Brook is very good for physics.

There are some fields of engineering where SUNY Albany and the University at Buffalo are good. All of these schools are part of the state university of New York system.

When the SUNY system was set up, Buffalo was to be the engineering center of excellence, Stony Brook, the science center, etc...

Buffalo is continually ranked very highly in the engineering world.

1. What is the acceptance rate for SUNY engineering schools?

The acceptance rate varies among SUNY engineering schools, but on average it is around 60%. Some schools may have a higher or lower acceptance rate depending on the competitiveness of the program and the number of applicants.

2. What is the average cost of tuition for SUNY engineering schools?

The cost of tuition for SUNY engineering schools also varies, but on average it is around $10,000 for in-state students and $20,000 for out-of-state students. However, this cost can be significantly lower for students who qualify for financial aid or scholarships.

3. What majors are offered at SUNY engineering schools?

SUNY engineering schools offer a wide range of majors, including civil, mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering. Some schools may also offer specialized programs in fields like biomedical engineering or environmental engineering.

4. What is the student-faculty ratio at SUNY engineering schools?

The student-faculty ratio at SUNY engineering schools varies, but on average it is around 15:1. This means that for every 15 students, there is 1 faculty member. This ratio can impact the amount of individual attention and support students receive from professors.

5. What are some notable research opportunities at SUNY engineering schools?

SUNY engineering schools have a strong focus on research, and many offer opportunities for students to get involved in cutting-edge projects and work alongside faculty members. Some schools also have partnerships with industry companies, providing students with hands-on experience and networking opportunities.