Whats Possible with a B.S in physics?

• Thread starter glennpagano44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, as a high school student looking to major in Physics in college, you may be wondering about the job opportunities available with a B.S. in physics. Physics is the basis of most sciences, so physicists can work in a variety of fields such as oceanography, atmospheric science, geology, design, software development, and even on Wall Street. With a physics background, you could potentially work in the oil drilling or nuclear field, as many companies in these industries employ physicists. However, if you are interested in a more specialized career in geology, you may want to consider a major in geophysics, which combines both physics and geology. Keep in mind that if you want to pursue research in physics, you will likely
glennpagano44
I am a HS student looking to major in Physics in college. After reading some posts I am wondering what kind of jobs there are with a B.S physics. Could I work in the oil drilling or nuclear field? I am also thinking of maybe majoring in Geology, what do you think a bout a geology major?

Physics news on Phys.org
glennpagano44 said:
I am wondering what kind of jobs there are with a B.S physics.
Account to perhaps not zoo keeper, but certainly something beginning with z ;-)
Physics is the basis of most science, so physicists work in everything form oceanography, atmospheric, geology, car/plane/ship design, software plus a lot of non technical jobs that require analytical and numerate skills. A lot of physicists work on Wall St.

Could I work in the oil drilling or nuclear field?
Except for some chemical engineers i think most people in nuclear have a physics background.
As for oil, Schlumberger's research lab is opposite the Cavendish Lab in Cambridge - this is not a coincidence.

I am also thinking of maybe majoring in Geology, what do you think a bout a geology major?
It will pretty much guarantee you a job on graduation - but the range of careers might be more limited than with a physics degree.

My recommendation would generally be to do a more 'pure science degree and then either a masters in a specialty like geology or just get a job in that area.

Have you thought about geophysics? It's a great way to combine interests in physics and geology and the jobs prospects are great (or at least they were a few years ago - I haven't personally spoken with any geophysicists in a while).

Yea geophysics is what I have been looking at a lot lately, I just can't find any good schools close to home (pennsylvania) with geophysics (didnt get accepted to psu main). I am thinking about going to millersville for my undergrad physics degree.

"Except for some chemical engineers i think most people in nuclear have a physics background.
As for oil, Schlumberger's research lab is opposite the Cavendish Lab in Cambridge - this is not a coincidence."

What do you mean by this, do nuclear people and oil people not like to associate?

If you want to "do" physics, i.e. do research, you almost always need a PhD. Research positions for those without PhDs are few and far between, so you ought to keep that in mind.

glennpagano44 said:
What do you mean by this, do nuclear people and oil people not like to associate?
Sorry, I meant it was obvious that the nuclear industry relies on physics.
Schlumberger is one of the biggest developers of oil drilling and off shore equipment, and they employ a lot of physicists.

Glenn, every month or so, you come here asking about a new major. Everything from Physics to Forestry. I can tell that fretting about this is driving you crazy.

This is a decision you don't have to make for two years. I suggest that you not try and make it today.

Vanadium 50 said:
Glenn, every month or so, you come here asking about a new major. Everything from Physics to Forestry. I can tell that fretting about this is driving you crazy.

This is a decision you don't have to make for two years. I suggest that you not try and make it today.

Yea I am not really worrying about it, I am just trying to gather all the information possible. Plus it is really interesting thinking about what my life is going to be like.

Im a physics major at PSU main right now. I can;t really answer your question regarding opportunities after school (I share the same concern), but I can tell you that a sure way to get here is to get accepted to a satellite campus and transfer after a semester. Or just stay at that campus for 2 years and save money.

vMaster0fPuppet said:
Im a physics major at PSU main right now. I can;t really answer your question regarding opportunities after school (I share the same concern), but I can tell you that a sure way to get here is to get accepted to a satellite campus and transfer after a semester. Or just stay at that campus for 2 years and save money.

Could I really transfer to psu main after one semester?

Yes you can. Sorry for the absoluteness of my statement earlier, but its not quite a sure thing. I know of a couple of people who have done it, the school just seems to treat there be more willing to accept students who are already paying them to main campus. That said... there's a possibility it won't be so easy.

Also of note... penn state is the most expensive state school in the country and they VERY rarely give out financial aid int he way of grants and scholarships. Hopefully... for me... its worst it though.

1. What career options are available with a B.S in Physics?

There are a variety of career options available with a B.S in Physics, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, education, and more. Some specific job titles may include physicist, aerospace engineer, data scientist, and science teacher.

2. Is a B.S in Physics necessary for graduate school?

While a B.S in Physics can provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in physics, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs also accept students with a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as mathematics or engineering.

3. Can I work in a different field with a B.S in Physics?

Yes, a B.S in Physics can open up opportunities in various industries, such as finance, healthcare, and technology. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained through a physics degree are highly valued in many fields.

4. What skills will I develop with a B.S in Physics?

Some key skills that can be developed with a B.S in Physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, mathematical modeling, and communication. These skills are applicable to many jobs and can also be useful in everyday life.

5. What is the job outlook for individuals with a B.S in Physics?

The job outlook for individuals with a B.S in Physics is very promising. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for physicists and astronomers is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.