1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats Possible with a B.S in physics?

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    I am a HS student looking to major in Physics in college. After reading some posts I am wondering what kind of jobs there are with a B.S physics. Could I work in the oil drilling or nuclear field? I am also thinking of maybe majoring in Geology, what do you think a bout a geology major?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Account to perhaps not zoo keeper, but certainly something beginning with z ;-)
    Physics is the basis of most science, so physicists work in everything form oceanography, atmospheric, geology, car/plane/ship design, software plus a lot of non technical jobs that require analytical and numerate skills. A lot of physicists work on Wall St.

Except for some chemical engineers i think most people in nuclear have a physics background.
    As for oil, Schlumberger's research lab is opposite the Cavendish Lab in Cambridge - this is not a coincidence.

It will pretty much guarantee you a job on graduation - but the range of careers might be more limited than with a physics degree.

My recommendation would generally be to do a more 'pure science degree and then either a masters in a specialty like geology or just get a job in that area.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have you thought about geophysics? It's a great way to combine interests in physics and geology and the jobs prospects are great (or at least they were a few years ago - I haven't personally spoken with any geophysicists in a while).

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4
    Yea geophysics is what I have been looking at a lot lately, I just cant find any good schools close to home (pennsylvania) with geophysics (didnt get accepted to psu main). I am thinking about going to millersville for my undergrad physics degree.

"Except for some chemical engineers i think most people in nuclear have a physics background.
    As for oil, Schlumberger's research lab is opposite the Cavendish Lab in Cambridge - this is not a coincidence."

What do you mean by this, do nuclear people and oil people not like to associate?

6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    If you want to "do" physics, i.e. do research, you almost always need a PhD. Research positions for those without PhDs are few and far between, so you ought to keep that in mind.

7. Dec 11, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I meant it was obvious that the nuclear industry relies on physics.
    Schlumberger is one of the biggest developers of oil drilling and off shore equipment, and they employ a lot of physicists.

8. Dec 12, 2008 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Glenn, every month or so, you come here asking about a new major. Everything from Physics to Forestry. I can tell that fretting about this is driving you crazy.

This is a decision you don't have to make for two years. I suggest that you not try and make it today.

9. Dec 12, 2008 #8
    Yea im not really worrying about it, I am just trying to gather all the information possible. Plus it is really interesting thinking about what my life is going to be like.

10. Dec 12, 2008 #9
    Im a physics major at PSU main right now. I can;t really answer your question regarding opportunities after school (I share the same concern), but I can tell you that a sure way to get here is to get accepted to a satellite campus and transfer after a semester. Or just stay at that campus for 2 years and save money.

11. Dec 13, 2008 #10
    Could I really transfer to psu main after one semester?

12. Dec 13, 2008 #11
    Yes you can. Sorry for the absoluteness of my statement earlier, but its not quite a sure thing. I know of a couple of people who have done it, the school just seems to treat there be more willing to accept students who are already paying them to main campus. That said... there's a possibility it wont be so easy.

Also of note... penn state is the most expensive state school in the country and they VERY rarely give out financial aid int he way of grants and scholarships. Hopefully... for me... its worst it though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?