Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's relation between factorial and tensor components.?

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    maybe its simple permutation and combination technique... I ve tried to resolve it on my own but I couldn't...The textbook which I read simply mentions it to be obvious..can anyone please elucidate me the logic behind factorials of "independent components of tensor curl" and levi cita

Can anyone also explain the relation between pseudo-tensor and tensor density.?(with practical example hopefully)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2012 #2
    can anyone plz help me

4. Jun 16, 2012 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What specifically are you are asking? Your post doesn't provide enough detail.

5. Jun 16, 2012 #4
    In dual tensors,levi ceta symbols we have some factorials..how are they assigned.?

6. Jun 16, 2012 #5
    It's just an artifact of using summation conventions. Levi-Civita in N dimensions generally has [itex]1/N![/itex] appear somewhere.

Realizing that the Levi-Civita tensor represents the unit pseudoscalar in the space obviates the need for factorials.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook