What's the alternative to watching the soccer world cup?
- Thread starter davenn
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
23 replies · 6K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
- 15,524
- 771
Now it's poker instead of bowling. It makes bowling look exciting.
dipole
- 553
- 149
Hey, I actually like watching poker on T.V. on the very rare instance I happen to be infront of one while they're showing it. Poker is a very interesting game to watch if you play it.
- 15,524
- 771
It's an interesting game to play if you play it. That doesn't mean it's interesting to watch. Bowling can be an interesting game if you play it. It's still boring to watch on TV, as is poker. TV poker is not only boring, it's annoying! I find the incessant click, click, click of players playing with their chips to be extremely grating.
- 20,002
- 11,120
davenn, we may have to invent a new infraction for this!

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
If you use televised poker to learn how to play the game, it's a disaster. Once you start playing the *real* game you immediately realize you can't see your opponents' hands -- OOPS! Sort of makes it a different game!
Gosh and it seemed so easy on TV...
Gosh and it seemed so easy on TV...
- 15,524
- 771
But you can see their hands! And their faces. And their eyes (we had a rule: NO SUNGLASSES!) And all kinds of other things. Did his voice just get squeaky? Did he just look at his hand three or four times and then count all of his chips?lisab said:Once you start playing the *real* game you immediately realize you can't see your opponents' hands -- OOPS! Sort of makes it a different game!
Poker helped me get through college on a healthy diet. A bad night meant ramen noodles for a week, with maybe a splurge night on mac & cheese with a cheap (very cheap!) bottle of Pabst Blue Ribbon. A good night meant steak, lamb chops, fresh fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, and several glasses of nice wine for the next week.
MisterX
- 758
- 71
lisab said:At least it's not NASCAR. Or golf. Or bowling (yep, that used to be on TV when I was a kid!).
or fishing
but, yes, soccer/football is not all that interesting to watch
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
Greg Bernhardt said:davenn, we may have to invent a new infraction for this!![]()
![]()
hahaha eeekkkk
my dig at soccer or all the poker that's going on in here ? haha
I did actually play soccer when I was ~ 8 or 9 yrs old at primary school
played basketball in high school
cheers
Dave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
lisab said:At least it's not NASCAR. Or golf. Or bowling (yep, that used to be on TV when I was a kid!).
Yeah NASCAR compared to other motor sports is a bit boring with the oval track
In Australia and New Zealand, we have the V8 supercars with good winding tracks
Mount Panorama, in Bathurst, a couple of 100 km inland from me, is not only winding but has a very curly hill section.
The V8's and rally driving are my main motor sports interests. I can take or leave F1
cheers
Dave
ZombieFeynman
Gold Member
- 329
- 12
As much as I enjoy playing soccer, I find watching it to be fairly excruciating. Still, the postdocs in my group (for whom it is football, not soccer) insist that I watch the world cup.
Education Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,074
- 1,156
I frankly don't understand why so many of you Americans find soccer to be so boring, when you get so excited over American football (i.e. NFL football) which IMHO is one of the slowest and most incomprehensible sports imaginable (at least on TV, at any rate).
I've watched a number of World Cup matches thus far, and they have been absolutely fascinating; actually among the most exciting games thus far were those between the US vs Ghana and US vs Portugal.
I've watched a number of World Cup matches thus far, and they have been absolutely fascinating; actually among the most exciting games thus far were those between the US vs Ghana and US vs Portugal.
Mentor
- 23,212
- 7,700
StatGuy2000 said:I frankly don't understand why so many of you Americans find soccer to be so boring, when you get so excited over American football (i.e. NFL football) which IMHO is one of the slowest and most incomprehensible sports imaginable (at least on TV, at any rate).
I've watched a number of World Cup matches thus far, and they have been absolutely fascinating; actually among the most exciting games thus far were those between the US vs Ghana and US vs Portugal.
What's boring about 22 men slamming into each other every 30 seconds?
ZombieFeynman
Gold Member
- 329
- 12
StatGuy2000 said:I frankly don't understand why so many of you Americans find soccer to be so boring, when you get so excited over American football (i.e. NFL football) which IMHO is one of the slowest and most incomprehensible sports imaginable (at least on TV, at any rate).
I've watched a number of World Cup matches thus far, and they have been absolutely fascinating; actually among the most exciting games thus far were those between the US vs Ghana and US vs Portugal.
American Football is a game of Go or Chess for the Coaches. The strategy is deep and the tactics are manifold. It is a peerless sport, to play and watch.
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
Golf is incredibly boring to watch, but sailboat racing ain't the thrill of my life either:
Title: Exciting Sailing Footage [sic] :zzz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-hqwGKLws
Title: Exciting Sailing Footage [sic] :zzz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-hqwGKLws
Education Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,074
- 1,156
ZombieFeynman said:American Football is a game of Go or Chess for the Coaches. The strategy is deep and the tactics are manifold. It is a peerless sport, to play and watch.![]()
That's something I hear of from fans of American football all the time. Firstly, virtually every team sport (soccer, hockey, lacrosse, baseball, etc.) involve deep strategy. Secondly, when I've watched an American football, all I see is a bunch of overgrown men landing on top of each other!
Education Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,074
- 1,156
Drakkith said:What's boring about 22 men slamming into each other every 30 seconds?
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you enjoy men slamming into each other, try watching hockey, my country's national sport! :P
Similar threads
- ISamson
- · Replies 41 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 41
- Borek
- · Replies 77 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 77
- Greg Bernhardt
- · Replies 391 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 391
- Shahil
- · Replies 22 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 22
- D H
- · Replies 13 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 13
- Greg Bernhardt
- · Replies 11 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 11
- foxtrot_echo_
- · Replies 139 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 139
- Kazza_765
- · Replies 20 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 20
- Kurdt
- · Replies 451 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 451
- Evo
- · Replies 4 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 4