Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

World Cup - "soccer is boring and stupid" thread

1. Jun 29, 2014 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I don't want to derail the discussion in the WC threads, but after reading these two pages:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-28065500

I think it deserves its own thread.

Bunch of thoughts:

While I agree soccer can be boring (and sadly often is), after watching a baseball game (or two) on TV I think it is much more boring.

I can understand those preferring fast games, with high scores - basketball, handball. I do. Doesn't make me ridicule soccer (unless it is a Polish team playing, but that's another thing).

If Ann Coulter were to post her text at PF she would get banned for intended misinformation :devil: (which is our politically correct name for an utter lie).

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If I could I would ban you for this:

4. Jun 29, 2014 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I would hope that if Ann Coulter posts *anything* (that's typical of her output) on PF, she'd be immediately banned as a flamebaiting troll.

5. Jun 29, 2014 #4
    Ann Coulter has achieved troll level: Ann Coulter.

And yes, baseball is extremely boring to watch.

6. Jun 29, 2014 #5
    I sentence Coulter to a year of physics in US Customary units.

7. Jun 29, 2014 #6
    Sports in general are boring to watch....

8. Jun 29, 2014 #7
    I'd agree, but I wouldn't be doing the engineering stereotype any favors. So, no official comment.

9. Jun 29, 2014 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I get the feeling PFers don't spend much time zoning out in front of the TV watching sports!

10. Jun 29, 2014 #9
    Who cares, lol. We are all nerds here :tongue:

11. Jun 29, 2014 #10
    After thinking about this for a while, I've decided to start describing electric power in horsepower. My lights are 0.08 horsepower.

12. Jun 30, 2014 #11

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I prefer playing to spectating.

On Saturday, I rode my bicycle about 25 miles (~40 km) on mostly hilly terrain except for the road along a canyon facing a headwind.

My goal is to achieve the speed limit on most streets/roads in town, even with a moderate grade.

13. Jun 30, 2014 #12

cjl

Why? It's a perfectly legitimate name for the sport, and less ambiguous than "football".

14. Jun 30, 2014 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The name football is not ambiguous for about 7 billion people. It only is for americans.

15. Jun 30, 2014 #14
    And in your opinion that makes it ban worthy? Many of the posters on this site are american, I would think a little cultural sensitivity and awareness should be in order.

Like the posters above, I think sports of all kinds are dreadfully boring to watch (not just soccer). I can understand the appeal it has to others a little bit... But like Astronuc I would rather go on a bike ride around some canyons. That sounds awesome.

16. Jun 30, 2014 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It was clearly a joke... Relax. I am not going to ban anybody for saying soccer.
    You shouldn't take everything so seriously :tongue:

17. Jun 30, 2014 #16
    I would hope not. Especially considering that you made a thread on "Futbol" while the PF rules clearly state that English is the only language to be used. (Don't worry, I wont report it. ;)

18. Jun 30, 2014 #17

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

So we're down to cultural insensitivity for implying "soccer" is a poor term? Jesus christ is everything culturally insensitive nowadays?

19. Jun 30, 2014 #18
    (Referring to a now-removed comment in an earlier post.)

When I say "football" here in Oklahoma, no one thinks of this game. We have to specify that we are taking about "soccer". How is that term useless when it is the only unambiguous name for the sport in some places?

20. Jun 30, 2014 #19

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't think many people on this thread grasp the concept of a joke...

21. Jun 30, 2014 #20
    I got your post. I don't think calling it "useless terminology, period" was a joke, though.

But, that seems to have been edited out of the post in question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook