What's the best quantum simulator?

In summary: It looks like Quirk is a good option for a digital simulator, as it allows for easy simulation of small quantum circuits. However, for a full simulator, some other options to consider are IBM Quantum Experience, Microsoft Liqui, Quantum in the Cloud, and Google Quantum Playground. These are all considered some of the best in terms of speed, accuracy, ease of use, and ability to simulate any type of universal quantum computer. For a more comprehensive comparison of capabilities, there are also other tools such as Microsoft Quantum Development Kit, Rigetti Forest, ProjectQ, QuTiP, OpenFermion, Qbsolv, ScaffCC, and Raytheon BBN. Ultimately, the definition of a quantum simulator can vary, but generally refers
skanskan
Hello.

What is the best quantum simulator till now?
We could select two categories:
a) Best full simulator able to solve the equations describing a system in 3D and watching its temporal evolution.
b) Best digital simulator, algorithm analyzer.

For the second options I have some candidates:
IBM Quantum Experience
Microsoft Liqui
Quantum in the Cloud
Forest
Google Quantum PlaygroundBest means faster, providing proper results, easy to use and able to simulate any kind of universal quantum computer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wrote a simulator called Quirk:

It won't really help with analyzing algorithms, but it's really good at small circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes StevieTNZ, Greg Bernhardt, DennisN and 2 others
@Strilanc very nice.

@Strilanc Is there any forum specialized in quantum computing?

None that I'm aware of that aren't ghost towns.

Strilanc said:
Looks spectacular! Still as a layman in QM I don't understand how it works.

Last edited:
And could you also let me know your opinion about the applications I've listed above, please?
Or about the different languages used to describe the computer.

What are the most advanced quantum development tool or simualtors?
Microsoft has a new tool, called Microsoft Quantum Development Kit, and there are other I haven't commented yet, Rigetti Forest, ProjectQ, QuTiP, OpenFermion, Qbsolv, ScaffCC, Raytheon BBN…

Any comparison of its capabilities?

To my best understanding, (universal) quantum simulators usually refers not to sofware for on a classical machine, but rather hard-ware that behave intrinsically quantum-mechanically, or am I missing something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_simulator

Strilanc said:
I wrote a simulator called Quirk:

It won't really help with analyzing algorithms, but it's really good at small circuits.
Neat!

1. What is a quantum simulator?

A quantum simulator is a device or computer program that is used to simulate the behavior of quantum systems. It allows researchers to study and understand the behavior of quantum systems, which are extremely difficult to observe and control in a laboratory setting.

2. How does a quantum simulator work?

A quantum simulator works by using algorithms and mathematical models to simulate the behavior of quantum systems. It uses classical computing techniques to mimic the behavior of quantum particles, which allows researchers to study and analyze complex quantum phenomena.

3. What are the benefits of using a quantum simulator?

Quantum simulators have many benefits, including the ability to study and understand complex quantum phenomena that are difficult to observe in a laboratory setting. They also allow for faster and more efficient calculations compared to traditional methods, which can help advance research in fields such as quantum computing and chemistry.

4. What are the limitations of quantum simulators?

One of the main limitations of quantum simulators is that they are not capable of solving all types of quantum problems. They are limited to simulating specific types of quantum systems and may not accurately represent real-world quantum behavior. Additionally, the resources and technology required to build and operate a quantum simulator can be expensive and complex.

5. What is the best quantum simulator currently available?

There is no single "best" quantum simulator, as different simulators may excel in different areas or be better suited for specific types of research. Some commonly used quantum simulators include IBM Quantum Experience, Microsoft Quantum Development Kit, and Google's Cirq. It is important to assess the specific needs and goals of a research project when choosing a quantum simulator.