In summary: No computer needed; it's called a chastity belt (or sterilization if you are a 'belt & suspenders' type of guy)....
Bob Walance
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
A document, for beginners, describing how quantum computers work with comparisons to conventional computers.

Attachments

• An Introduction to Quantum Computing.pdf
    730.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Quantum Panda, iamanegg, WWGD and 10 others
Physics news on Phys.org
There are some tutorials on https://quantum-computing.ibm.com/docs/ which may be useful.

This might also be useful: https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3517340
Quantum Algorithm Implementations for Beginners
"We survey 20 different quantum algorithms, attempting to describe each in a succinct and self-contained fashion. We show how these algorithms can be implemented on IBM’s quantum computer, and in each case, we discuss the results of the implementation with respect to differences between the simulator and the actual hardware runs."

Code is available at : https://github.com/lanl/quantum_algorithms

Likes aaroman, berkeman, vanhees71 and 2 others
Great idea for a new thread. I had a question that never got answered. It has to do with programming quantum computers.

If I have an algorithm S (Shor's Algorithm), how do I interconnect the qubits to implement it?

anorlunda said:
If I have an algorithm S (Shor's Algorithm), how do I interconnect the qubits to implement it?
You implement a classical control to orchestrate to required direct interactions between your qubits. The physical layout of your qubits determines which qubits can directly interact with each other, given the right classical control signal.

Such control signals could be microwave pulses of the right frequency and duration, or electrical wires put on the right potential, or a combination of both. Or it could be laser pulses, or modulations of a magnetic field, or other classically controllable phenomena.

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
Shor's algorithm is fairly complex. In the quantum realm you need to do modular exponentiation and also the Fourier transform. In this thread (post #2), atyy shared a link to some code on github that will factor '15' but with a fixed initial guess. It's tough to factor bigger numbers and be more flexible on the initial guess because it takes 3x qubits to do the job and simulators are very limited due to current memory size.
I gave up implementing Shor's on the simulator that I wrote because with my 13 qubits max I could only hope to factor the number '15', too. It didn't seem worth the effort. We need faster processors and exabytes of ram to make it interesting (imo), or we can just wait for real quantum computers with a couple hundred error-corrected qubits :smile:.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman and anorlunda
Excellent!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Would this be useful to add to PF Insights? @Bob Walance?
Greg - That's certainly okay with me. If you do that then, if you can, please use the attached updated pdf. There were a couple of spelling errors in the first draft (thanks to Tom.G for helping me out on this). There is now a 'r2' in the footnotes.

Attachments

• Introduction to quantum computing.pdf
    739.2 KB · Views: 110
Likes Tom.G, gentzen, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
I love the challenge to learn offered by this thread. Thank you @Bob Walance .I'm working my way carefully through Quantum Algorithm Implementations for Beginners linked in #2. I

I'm stuck on the notation in equation 11, page 18:5. I presume that the summation is for all possible values of X2 and X3, but I don't see how the notation says that.

1658146672686.png

Likes PhDeezNutz
##\left(x_2x_3\right)\in\{0,1\}^2## just means that the string ##x_2x_3## is from the set of all 2-tuples of numbers belonging to ##\{0,1\}##. The notation is similar to how you would use ##R^n## for a coordinate space, just replace ##R## with ##\{0,1\}## and n with 2.
Then, as you presumed, the "bra" vectors in the sum will be ##\langle0\mathbf{00}|, \langle0\mathbf{01}|, \langle0\mathbf{10}|, \langle0\mathbf{11}|##.

Likes malawi_glenn and anorlunda
Bob Walance said:
Summary: A document, for beginners, describing how quantum computers work with comparisons to conventional computers.

revisions for the attached PDF:
r3 - Changed all occurrences of the word 'conventional' to 'classical'. Headings are no longer all capital letters.
r2 - Fixed a couple of spelling and grammar errors.
Fun article. Thanks. How do I get access to a computer which will answer the question "what is the best possible method for getting humans to conceive only one child or less?" Thanks.

• Skeptical
Likes Photonics and Motore
Rich Thomasy said:
How do I get access to a computer which will answer the question "what is the best possible method for getting humans to conceive only one child or less?"

No computer needed; it's called a chastity belt (or sterilization if you are a 'belt & suspenders' type of guy). :oldsurprised:

Tom.G said:
No computer needed; it's called a chastity belt (or sterilization if you are a 'belt & suspenders' type of guy). :oldsurprised:
Fun reply. However, I was being serious.

"Quantum computation and quantum Information" by Nielsen e Chuang.
Ssnow

I have updated the PDF (now rev 4) with a few clarifications and corrections. Also, a table of contents has been added.

Likes vanhees71, Greg Bernhardt and berkeman