What's the Correct Formula for Finding the Speed of a Thrown Ball?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kari82
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
kari82
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
A ball is thrown horizontally from the top of a 20-m high hill. It strikes the ground at an angle of 45°. With what speed was it thrown? I thought that we could use h=(Vi^2sin^2alpha)/2g. However, using that formula I am not able to get to the correct answer which is 20m/s. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the formula s=s0+ut-0.5gt2 where s = displacement and u= initial velocity.

Using this formula and considering vertical motion, the ball hits the ground at s=0. So what is the total time of flight? (If it was thrown horizontally, its initial vertical velocity is?)