What's the deal with plasma physicists setting heat cap. ratio to 3?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 1K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
893
Reaction score
483
This has persistently bugged me in my intro plasma course. They keep using ##\gamma = 3## aka ##N_d = 1## (where ##N_d## is the number of degrees of freedom in the molecule) as an approximation. See for example, the Bohm-Gross dispersion curve. I can tell you from deriving this that the factor of 3 in front of the ##k_b T## is the heat capacity ratio ##\gamma##. In other words, that equation ought to be $$\omega^2 = \omega_{p,e}^2 + \frac{\gamma k_B T_e k^2}{m_e}$$ and they've taken ##\gamma = 3##. What the heck man?

To clarify why I find this confusing, ##\gamma = \frac{N_d + 2}{N_d} = 3## implies that ##N_d = 1##. What kind of toy molecule has one degree of freedom?? Pure unobtainium vapor?

Edit: should have specified, the Bohm-Gross dispersion curve is for Langmuir waves (longitudinal waves in the electrons with the ions stationary). In other words, the ##\gamma## there is for electrons. Last time I checked electrons could move in three dimensions?? (##N_d = 3## therefore ##\gamma = \frac{5}{3}##).
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welp, I was looking for another source to prove what I claimed about the factor of 3 being ##\gamma## in the Bohm-Gross dispersion curve, and I stumbled on the answer too. We need a "clown" emoji for situations like this.

From this document,
With the assumption that the electron compression occurs one-dimensionally and faster than thermal conduction, we have ##p_1 = \gamma T n_1##, with ##\gamma = 3##
Am I right to think that this means that there is a breakdown of the equipartition theorem because thermal energy doesn't have time to redistribute from the longitudinal axis of propagation to the transverse axes?
 
If you feel a little uncertain about the legitimacy of the result, linearized kinetic theory is another way to derive the dispersion relation. The factor of 3 naturally falls out of the calculation without explicitly making the ##\gamma=3## assumption.

jason