1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats the difference between a reactant and a reagent?

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1

dnt

is there any?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2
  4. Mar 15, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think there is a slight difference.

From answers.com,

reactant: A substance participating in a chemical reaction, especially a directly reacting substance present at the initiation of the reaction.

reagent: A substance used in a chemical reaction to detect, measure, examine, or produce other substances.

For example, hydrochloric acid is the chemical reagent, that would cause the reactant calcium carbonate to release carbon dioxide. Naming as a reactant or reagent is a matter of convention or perspective.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  5. Mar 15, 2006 #4
    Sorry, my mistake. But I am new to english terms.

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5
    reactant or reagent

I am a spanish/english translator and I need to know if the correct collocation to mean the test conducted to recognize cocaine during customs controls requires a "reactant of cocaine" or a "reagent of cocaine" or something different. My interest is only terminological, my mother tongue is Spanish and I am translating into English, so you, English native speakers and physicists, will certainly be able to help me. Thank you.

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'Reagent' is more appropriate (or more common) but 'reactant' would not be incorrect in this case. Most test kits contain 'reagents' as you could discern from many chemical suppliers' descriptions of their test kits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?