Whats the difference between a reactant and a reagent?

• Thread starter dnt
  • Start date
dnt
is there any?

Answers and Replies

PPonte
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think there is a slight difference.

From answers.com,

reactant: A substance participating in a chemical reaction, especially a directly reacting substance present at the initiation of the reaction.

reagent: A substance used in a chemical reaction to detect, measure, examine, or produce other substances.

For example, hydrochloric acid is the chemical reagent, that would cause the reactant calcium carbonate to release carbon dioxide. Naming as a reactant or reagent is a matter of convention or perspective.

Last edited:
PPonte
Sorry, my mistake. But I am new to english terms.

reactant or reagent

I am a spanish/english translator and I need to know if the correct collocation to mean the test conducted to recognize cocaine during customs controls requires a "reactant of cocaine" or a "reagent of cocaine" or something different. My interest is only terminological, my mother tongue is Spanish and I am translating into English, so you, English native speakers and physicists, will certainly be able to help me. Thank you.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
'Reagent' is more appropriate (or more common) but 'reactant' would not be incorrect in this case. Most test kits contain 'reagents' as you could discern from many chemical suppliers' descriptions of their test kits.