What's the difference between Agnosticism and Atheism?

• Thread starter Iacchus32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the difference between Agnosticism and Atheism, if any, is that Agnosticism pretty much claims it all, by saying it doesn't know. Atheism, on the other hand, is the position that there is no god, no heaven, no hell, just the real world, right now.
Originally posted by BoulderHead
Iacchus,
I think you could benenfit from reading the link I posted above. It isn't too long, in case you're interested. :smile:
Okay, I checked it out. It sounds like what they're saying is the Agnostic is none other than the "weak Atheist."

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Iacchus32
Okay, I checked it out. It sounds like what they're saying is the Agnostic is none other than the "weak Atheist."

Personally, I'm not a fan of those definitions, but in general agnostic is used, popularly, to mean "a person that has no belief in god's existence or non-existence", though the dictionary and coined (by T.H. Huxley) meaning is more specific to meaning "one that believes knowledge of gods existence or non-existence is impossible".

Though a subtle difference, the second says nothing about the person's actual belief in god. My father is both an agnostic and a theist - he believes in god, but realizes there is no way to know if god truly exists. I, on the other hand, would be an agnostic atheist, since I hold no belief in god and believe there is no way to know if god truly exists. I can also see where a person could believe there is no god (strong atheist) and still be an agnostic.

Would an Agnostic accept it first or, is the criteria pretty much the same as that which an Atheist would accept?
Note what I am saying. The distinction does lie there. Rather, one way of distinguishing agnostics from atheists is that the agnostic maintains that even if God exists, he must by definition by unknowable. There can be no evidence pointing it out, as part of the nature of belief in God. This is, in a way playing on the idea of "faith" in religion. Agnostics often can maintain that faith forms the core of religion, and so if "god" is proven by evidence, that isn't god. And by the same coin, god cannot ever be disproven either. As radagast saying, it can be possible to be an agnostic theist - one who believes in god, but regards this as faith in the unknowable. Though this is rare.

Being as I am the knower of all knowable things, I will clear things up. :smile:

OK, seriously, though, this is what the two words mean, regardless of what they are popularly believed to mean:
------------------------------------------------------------
Atheist - a person without a belief in a theology

Agnostic - one who believes that we cannot have knowledge of god(s)
------------------------------------------------------------

Let's go back to the definition of atheism. Not having a belief that something is true is NOT the same believing that something is false. If you look at the word parts, the 'a' prefix means "without", not against. "Anti" means against. This definition actually encompasses both the "strong atheists" (anti-theists) and the "weak atheists" (fence-sitters). Believing that something is false is a subset of not believing that something is true, as not believing that something is true is composed of two possibilities, (A) believing that it is false, and (B) being not decided.

As for agnostic, notice that the definition does not say anything about belief or disbelief in god(s). Rather, it talks about a belief regarding whether we can have knowledge of god(s). An agnostic believes that we cannot know. It is a belief about the human condition, rather than about deities.

Originally posted by Zero
I like your link, BH...I considermyself a weak atheist in general, but a strong atheist when it comes to the specific claims of major religions. Does that make sense?
Yes it does, and this is how I am too. It reminds me of an old quote I haven't used in awhile;

The position of the atheist is a clear and reasonable one. I know nothing about God and therefore I do not believe in Him or it. What you tell me about your God is self-contradictory and is therefore incredible. I do not deny "God," which is an unknown tongue to me. I do deny your God, who is an impossibility. I am without God.
-- Annie Besant

Originally posted by BoulderHead
Yes it does, and this is how I am too. It reminds me of an old quote I haven't used in awhile;

The position of the atheist is a clear and reasonable one. I know nothing about God and therefore I do not believe in Him or it. What you tell me about your God is self-contradictory and is therefore incredible. I do not deny "God," which is an unknown tongue to me. I do deny your God, who is an impossibility. I am without God.
-- Annie Besant
Well it still sounds like you're open to the possiblity, just not "anybody's" possibility. Which sounds reasonable, if what it means is resisting someone ramming it down your throat. :wink: