Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the difference between differential topology and algebraic topology?

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    Having some knowledge of differential geometry, I want to self-study topology. Which of the two areas shall I study first? Thanks for answer!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: [N00b] What's the difference between differential topology and algebraic topology

Differential topology is the study of manifolds: You consider something that locally looks like Euclidean space, on which you can differentiate etc. The proofs used in differential topology look similar to analysis; lots of epsilons and approximations etc.

Algebraic topology considers a broader class of topological spaces, and assigns algebraic objects (groups) to them. You have lots of algebraic theorems about homomorphisms between groups related to continuous maps between topological spaces and other things like that in order to draw conclusions.

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    Re: [N00b] What's the difference between differential topology and algebraic topology

To study differential geometry, you might need some (very) basic topology. Aside from this, they're not very related, as far as I know.

5. Apr 22, 2010 #4

Given a smooth manifold, the two are very much related, in that you can use differential or algebraic techniques to study the topology. Here's an example: prove that the homotopy groups

[tex]\pi_i(S^n)=0, i<n[/tex]

This is a question in algebraic topology, but by far the simplest proof uses Sard's Theorem, a theorem in differential topology.

6. Apr 24, 2010 #5

I think Algebraic Topology is more general, in that your spaces do not need to admit
    a smooth structure for the results of AT to apply.

One theorem relating the two areas is also deRham's theorem.

7. Apr 30, 2010 #6

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

many of the results in differential topology involve differentiable versions of results in algebraic topology. Without knowing the algebraic topology you will miss this connection.

On the other hand beginning differential topology is elementary - largely based on Sard's Theorem and the Implicit Function Theorem - and can be learned as an extension of multivariate calculus.

Learn both at the same time.

Differential topology is the study of smooth manifolds and smooth mappings using only the methods of calculus. Most importantly this means that it avoids the use of metrics - though not completely - and thus is distinguished from Riemannian geometry. When we first learn multi-variate calculus we implicitly use the metric on Euclidean space and are no told that this metric is extra structure that is not really needed. For instance, the idea of the gradient of a function uses the metric. But one could just as well use the differential of a function and discard the metric. This is what happens in differential topology.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook