Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the kinetic energy uncertainty for gaussian wave packet?

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    What's the kinetic energy uncertainty for gaussian wave packet ψ(x)=((α/pi)^(1/4))exp(-αx^2/2)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you compute the uncertainty in p? If you know the uncertainty in p and you know that K=p^2/2m can you compute the uncertainty in K?

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    I guess you can get the EXPECTATION VALUE of K, not the uncertainty in K, by squaring the uncertainty in p and dividing it by 2m

5. Oct 5, 2011 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]K=\frac{p^2}{2m}[/tex]

[tex]<K>=<\frac{p^2}{2m}>=\frac{<p^2>}{2m}[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_K=\frac{\partial K}{\partial p}\sigma_p[/tex]

Does that look reasonable?

6. Oct 5, 2011 #5
    σK=(p/m)σp

what is p? does p= <p>?

7. Oct 5, 2011 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, as usual, you put the expectation values in there.

8. Oct 5, 2011 #7
    Then <p> should be zero..

9. Oct 5, 2011 #8

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, well I think there may be something subtle happening here that prevents my formula from working. In the mean time then, you can compute this by brute force:

[tex]\sigma_K=\sqrt{\langle \psi | K^2|\psi\rangle-(\langle \psi | K|\psi\rangle)^2}=\frac{1}{m}\sqrt{\langle \psi |\frac{p^4}{4}|\psi\rangle-(\langle \psi | \frac{p^2}{2}|\psi\rangle)^2}[/tex]

This involves the 4th moment of the Gaussian though...which may be kind of hard...maybe someone more enlightened can fill us in then...XD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook