Whats the real definition of inductance?

In summary: Anyway, the inductance of any physical object is a function of the geometry as well as the core material and the shape of the core. This is why you can use a magnetic core to increase the inductance for a given number of turns of wire around it. In summary, the definition of inductance can vary depending on the context and the physical object being described. It can be defined as the ratio of flux to turns for a solenoid, or as the energy stored in the magnetic field for a general current distribution. However, inductance is ultimately a property of a circuit element and cannot be defined solely based on physics, as there are various factors that can affect it such as the geometry and materials used.
apchar
My old freshman physics text defined inductance as flux/turns, which applies only to solenoids. This seems like a pretty weak definition since any length of wire in any geometry has some inductance. There has to be a more general definition.
My first guess was that L could be calculated from the energy in the magnetic field:
volume integral of B^2/2mu0 = 1/2 L I^2
(sorry but the latex engine is acting weird)
You can numerically get B from just slow-but-simple Biot-Savart's law.
But I tried this for a simple circular loop of infinitesimally thin wire and got a squirreley (wrong) answer. The code is fine. I verified the calculated B for some known geometries. So I guess I'm on the wrong track.
So what's the real definition of inductance for an arbitrary current distribution?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductance"

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductance"

That's too macroscopic. It treats the inductor as a black box. I can build all manner of 1 port circuits that resist a change in the current flow but that doesn't make them inductors. I'm looking for a definition based on the physics.

Too macroscopic? Did you read the link?

Anyway, http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/maxeq.html" says it all.

apchar said:
That's too macroscopic. It treats the inductor as a black box. I can build all manner of 1 port circuits that resist a change in the current flow but that doesn't make them inductors. I'm looking for a definition based on the physics.

Yes it does, inductance is a property of a circuit element; HOW you get a specific inductance is not important.
Remember that just about all real circuit elements are inductive (many capacitors become inductive at high frequencies. and vice versa).
There is no such thing as a "pure" inductor, it is just a concept we use when me create mathematical models of real circuits (and those models are only valid for a certain range of frequencies) meaning there is no way to "define" it based on physics.
Also, there are all sorts of "exotic" inductances that are nevertheless real (=can be read out using an RCL meter). Good examples relevant for the work I do would be kinetic inductance and Josephson inductance.

Think of it like this:

If a source of electric power is suddenly applied to an unmagnetized inductor, the inductor will initially resist the flow of electrons by dropping the full voltage of the source. As current begins to increase, a stronger and stronger magnetic field will be created, absorbing energy from the source. Eventually the current reaches a maximum level, and stops increasing. At this point, the inductor stops absorbing energy from the source, and is dropping minimum voltage across its leads, while the current remains at a maximum level. As an inductor stores more energy, its current level increases, while its voltage drop decreases. Note that this is precisely the opposite of capacitor behavior, where the storage of energy results in an increased voltage across the component. Whereas capacitors store their energy charge by maintaining a static voltage, inductors maintain their energy "charge" by maintaining a steady current through the coil.

Therefore the measure of an inductor's ability to store energy for a given amount of current flow is called inductance.

apchar said:
It treats the inductor as a black box. . . . . . . I'm looking for a definition based on the physics.

An inductor IS a black box concept and it only refers to the simplest way of describing the way a component behaves over a certain band of frequencies. For instance, for an object with dimensions which are a significant fraction of a wavelength (and antenna or transmission line) the Impedance (including reactance / inductance) is frequency dependent. Also, even a humble wound inductor will have significant inter-winding capacity and this contributes to its measured / effective inductance at all frequencies.

What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of a circuit to generate an electromotive force (EMF) in response to a changing current. It is measured in units called henries (H).

How does inductance affect a circuit?

Inductance can affect a circuit in several ways. It can resist changes in current, store energy in a magnetic field, and create a voltage drop when there is a change in current. It also has the ability to limit the flow of alternating current (AC) in a circuit.

What factors affect the value of inductance?

The value of inductance is affected by the number of turns in a coil, the cross-sectional area of the coil, the material of the core, and the permeability of the core. It is also affected by the frequency of the current passing through the circuit.

What is the difference between inductance and capacitance?

Inductance and capacitance are two different properties of an electrical circuit. Inductance is the ability to generate an EMF in response to a changing current, while capacitance is the ability to store an electric charge. They both play important roles in the behavior of a circuit, but they are not interchangeable.

How is inductance measured?

Inductance is measured using a device called an inductance meter or an LCR meter. These devices can measure the inductance of a circuit in units of henries or millihenries. In some cases, inductance can also be calculated using the physical dimensions and properties of a circuit's components.