What's the TeX for a double closed loop integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the \ooiint command in LaTeX and searching for a way to loop both integrals. It is suggested to use the \usepackage{wasysym} command, which makes the \oiint control sequence available. Another option is to use the esint package, which includes \oiint and \varoiint. The possibility of enabling these commands on PF is also mentioned.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I tried using \ooiint, I want a loop that circles both integrals (two), anyone know?

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

I tried using \ooiint, I want a loop that circles both integrals (two), anyone know?

I don't know if you can do it without including an extra package called wasysym in your LaTeX source file. I did some searching and found that if you put \usepackage{wasysym} in your document preamble, a control sequence called \oiint becomes available. I've attached a pic of what it looks like. Next time try Googling for it yourself. It wasn't too long before I found an online PDF called "The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List" with this information in it.

Attachments

• \oiint.png
    \oiint.png
    570 bytes · Views: 1,624
Last edited:
Actually, I kind of like the ones in the package esint instead. It includes \oiint and \varoiint (attached in that order).

I'm not sure if there's any way to enable these on PF, if that's your question. You could ask in Forum Feedback.

Attachments

• \oiint_esint.png
    \oiint_esint.png
    789 bytes · Views: 623
  • \varoiint_esint.png
    \varoiint_esint.png
    831 bytes · Views: 528

1. What is the definition of a double closed loop integral in TeX?

A double closed loop integral in TeX is a mathematical expression used to represent the integration of a function over a two-dimensional region enclosed by two closed curves. It is denoted by a double integral symbol with two closed curves as the limits of integration.

2. How do you type a double closed loop integral in TeX?

To type a double closed loop integral in TeX, you can use the command \iint_{C_1}\oint_{C_2}f(x,y)dxdy, where C1 and C2 are the two closed curves defining the boundaries of the region of integration.

3. Can a double closed loop integral have a different orientation for the two curves?

Yes, the orientation of the two closed curves in a double closed loop integral can be different. This can be indicated by using the clockwise or counterclockwise direction in the limits of integration, such as \iint_{C_1}\oint_{-C_2}f(x,y)dxdy.

4. What is the difference between a double closed loop integral and a line integral?

A double closed loop integral integrates over a two-dimensional region enclosed by two closed curves, while a line integral integrates over a one-dimensional curve. Additionally, a double closed loop integral has two limits of integration, while a line integral has only one.

5. How is the value of a double closed loop integral calculated in TeX?

The value of a double closed loop integral in TeX is calculated by first evaluating the inner integral with respect to one variable, and then integrating the resulting expression with respect to the other variable. The final value is the sum of these two integrals.