What's the thermal energy of a helium atom?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
JoAstro
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I have this formula "E= 1/2 mv^2" which I don't fully understand. Also, I don't have the values for helium's mass and velocity.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
JoAstro said:
I have this formula "E= 1/2 mv^2" which I don't fully understand. Also, I don't have the values for helium's mass and velocity.
Welcome to PF JoAstro!

It is not clear what your question is. Individual atoms do not have a temperature. But large numbers of atoms can have a temperature. Is the question you are trying to answer: what is the average kinetic energy of a helium atom in a volume of helium gas that is at a particular temperature?

The kinetic energy of a body of mass m moving at speed v is ##KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##. And the average kinetic energy of the atoms of a monatomic gas at a temperature T is: ##<KE> = \frac{3}{2}kT##

Does that help you?

AM
 
Hi Andrew. Thank you!

I'm not sure about what you say, but I just noticed that I misread the question thinking it was another. The real question was meant for hydrogen which said "What is the typical thermal energy of a hydrogen atom?" However, the question I meant to ask was "What is the velocity of a helium atom in the photosphere of a star?"

I'm sorry about the confusion!

Thanks again.
 
First you need to detrmine the temperature. Then apply the relationship between T and v.

AM