Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the thermal energy of a helium atom?

Tags:
  1. Jan 9, 2016 #1
    I have this formula "E= 1/2 mv^2" which I don't fully understand. Also, I don't have the values for helium's mass and velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF JoAstro!

It is not clear what your question is. Individual atoms do not have a temperature. But large numbers of atoms can have a temperature. Is the question you are trying to answer: what is the average kinetic energy of a helium atom in a volume of helium gas that is at a particular temperature?

The kinetic energy of a body of mass m moving at speed v is ##KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##. And the average kinetic energy of the atoms of a monatomic gas at a temperature T is: ##<KE> = \frac{3}{2}kT##

Does that help you?

AM

4. Jan 10, 2016 #3
    Hi Andrew. Thank you!!

I'm not sure about what you say, but I just noticed that I misread the question thinking it was another. The real question was meant for hydrogen which said "What is the typical thermal energy of a hydrogen atom?" However, the question I meant to ask was "What is the velocity of a helium atom in the photosphere of a star?"

I'm sorry about the confusion!

Thanks again.

5. Jan 10, 2016 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First you need to detrmine the temperature. Then apply the relationship between T and v.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook