1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's with deuterium? an organic problem

1. Apr 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did a question in which positive charge was unstable near to ##-CD_3## group but was stable near to ##CH_3## group.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Why is it like that? Is deuterium less active for hyperconjugation or it causes more steric hindrance? What's wrong with deuterium?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2
    How many neutrons or protons Deuterium has?

4. Apr 23, 2015 #3
    It has a proton and a neutron. So steric hindrance?

5. Apr 23, 2015 #4
    I am not sure but it looks that it is the only reason. What do you think?

6. Apr 23, 2015 #5
    Yup.. it seems to me it's steric hindrance only, as it's heavier(thus bigger) than hydrogen. And it can't be hyperconjugation as it has the same configuration. That's what I think.

7. Apr 23, 2015 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do I understand correctly that you assume deuterium is larger than protium, because it has an additional neutron in nucleus? That must be off. The size of nucleus is negligible.

The only (in such cases) important difference is that D is twice heavier, so its reactions (broadly understood, not only in terms of pure chemistry, but also shape shifts) are much slower. I don't know what is the correct answer here, but that's the only valid approach IMHO.

8. Apr 23, 2015 #7
    What is IMHO? Something molecular hybrid orbital?

9. Apr 23, 2015 #8
    In my humble opinion.

10. Apr 23, 2015 #9
    Really? Okay....!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted