Interpreting gram stain results...unknown organism

• Thread starter fansounds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Organism
In summary, the Gram stain results for the unknown organism are confusing due to the presence of both purple and pink cocci. It is possible that the staining is incomplete, or that the cocci have been decolorized by the process of washing out the sample. If everyone else has the same problem, it could be the stain. However, if not, the decoloring of the cocci is a possible cause.
fansounds

Homework Statement

We've been given unknowns and now have to determine what the organism is. I'm having trouble interpreting gram staining results. As far morphology they are all cocci and (sort of) in clusters but (this is the confusing part) they are both purple and pink. I understand that purple indicates gram+ and pink is gram- , but there should be one genus of organism not two. So shouldn't there be only purple or only pink, but not both? Should I be looking for the "majority" color and using that to decide whether I have pos or neg? That is, if its mostly purple, does that mean pos, ...but if so, then why are there still pink cocci on the slide?

Homework Equations

I also understand why gram-pos appear purple, --that the crystal violet-iodine complex is retained due to thicker cell walls in gram-pos... and thinner cell walls in gram-neg, so they are decolorized and appear the color of the counterstain.

Also I definitely did not see any rods in my slide, just cocci.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for answer ygggdrasil...its definitely not gram variable/gram indeterminate because I asked prof about this...I think I will redo the stain though

Are others having similar problems?

Old or poorly made stains can give erroneous results.
Sometimes it is useful to centrifuge or filter them (using something like a micron scale filter) to remove particles that can adhere to tissue non-specifically.

Washout steps can be important for getting a good differentiation in staining.

yup centrifuging would help but the thing is this is just an intro to microbio class so I'm restricted to what test I can do. So this is all probably due to poor technique (specifically either over/under decolorizing) so I'm just going to redo

If everyone else has the same problem, it could be the stain.

If not I would guess the decoloring.

What is a Gram stain and why is it used in microbiology?

A Gram stain is a laboratory technique used to differentiate between bacteria based on their cell wall composition. It is used in microbiology to help identify the type and characteristics of an unknown organism.

How is a Gram stain performed?

A Gram stain involves several steps, including applying a sample of the unknown organism to a slide, fixing the sample with heat, and staining it with crystal violet, iodine, and safranin. The slide is then observed under a microscope to determine the Gram stain result.

What does a Gram-positive result indicate?

A Gram-positive result indicates that the unknown organism has a thick peptidoglycan cell wall, which retains the crystal violet dye and appears purple under the microscope. This result suggests that the organism is likely a member of the Gram-positive bacteria group.

What does a Gram-negative result indicate?

A Gram-negative result indicates that the unknown organism has a thin peptidoglycan cell wall, which does not retain the crystal violet dye and appears pink under the microscope. This result suggests that the organism is likely a member of the Gram-negative bacteria group.

What factors can affect the accuracy of Gram stain results?

The accuracy of Gram stain results can be affected by several factors, including the age of the bacterial culture, the quality of the staining reagents, and the experience of the person performing the stain. It is important to follow proper techniques and controls to ensure accurate results.