1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta decay of deuterium and triterium

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain why deuterium cannot undergo beta decay or produce a stable nucleus, while tritium can.

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    There was nothing in the lesson that really explained this, and the only reason I can find online is because deuterium is a stable isotope of hydrogen so it does not decay. I'm guessing that there is more to this, but I'm not sure what that would be.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Consider what the resulting nucleus could consist of. Tritium can convert N->P making He-3.

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Assuming the neutron in a deuteron did undergo beta decay, what are the resulting products? What is the combined (rest) mass of the products? How does that mass compare with the rest mass of the deuteron.

One would use a similar approach in following haruspex's suggestion.

5. Feb 3, 2013 #4
    Thank you both.
    So because the resulting atom would consist of 2 protons and 0 neutrons it would be too unstable?

6. Feb 3, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As Astronuc says, you should look at the energy balance. Also, as I understand it, Beta decay is of two types; with the other type you'd get two neutrons and no protons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook