Beta decay of deuterium and triterium

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
pbonnie
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Explain why deuterium cannot undergo beta decay or produce a stable nucleus, while tritium can.


Homework Equations


n/a


The Attempt at a Solution


There was nothing in the lesson that really explained this, and the only reason I can find online is because deuterium is a stable isotope of hydrogen so it does not decay. I'm guessing that there is more to this, but I'm not sure what that would be.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pbonnie said:

Homework Statement


Explain why deuterium cannot undergo beta decay or produce a stable nucleus, while tritium can.

The Attempt at a Solution


There was nothing in the lesson that really explained this, and the only reason I can find online is because deuterium is a stable isotope of hydrogen so it does not decay. I'm guessing that there is more to this, but I'm not sure what that would be.
Assuming the neutron in a deuteron did undergo beta decay, what are the resulting products? What is the combined (rest) mass of the products? How does that mass compare with the rest mass of the deuteron.

One would use a similar approach in following haruspex's suggestion.
 
Thank you both.
So because the resulting atom would consist of 2 protons and 0 neutrons it would be too unstable?
 
pbonnie said:
Thank you both.
So because the resulting atom would consist of 2 protons and 0 neutrons it would be too unstable?
As Astronuc says, you should look at the energy balance. Also, as I understand it, Beta decay is of two types; with the other type you'd get two neutrons and no protons.