What's your area and level of expertise?
- Thread starter Moonbear
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Area
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
189 replies · 134K views
Biology news on Phys.org
Bob S
- 4,662
- 8
I have a Ph.D in high energy physics, from over 40 years ago. I find biology fascinating now (but not in the 1950's). Especially cell biology and certain processes: Krebs cycle Calvin (RuBisCO) cycle etc.
Luongo
- 119
- 0
I am an undergrad 2nd year software engineering student with A.Sc minor in math, i took cell biology as an elective 2nd year course and thought it was hard but i got a B.
NothaShrubry
- 2
- 0
Hiya - I can't seem to start a new topic, so I'm posting here. I'm a chemist, still studying my degree, 2nd year with part 1As coming up and I need help with ChemDraw. If you're not a chemist or a biochemist, you probably haven't heard of it, though.
Does anyone out there know how to add an extra page to a chemdraw document, without opening a new page? This sounds trivial, but when I am producing documents of 12 pages plus, and have to open a new file and save the new file for each one, it is hideously, hideously tedious! Also, I am abysmal at googling, and seem unable to find assistance online.
If anyone can help me, please, please do!
Does anyone out there know how to add an extra page to a chemdraw document, without opening a new page? This sounds trivial, but when I am producing documents of 12 pages plus, and have to open a new file and save the new file for each one, it is hideously, hideously tedious! Also, I am abysmal at googling, and seem unable to find assistance online.
If anyone can help me, please, please do!
NothaShrubry
- 2
- 0
N.b. what's a BS? Is it a BSc, or something weird and American?
Cincinnatus
- 389
- 0
NothaShrubry said:N.b. what's a BS? Is it a BSc, or something weird and American?
It is both
Chase leader
- 4
- 0
I'm a Chinese students in a univeristy.I'm interested in biology and like cellur much more than other subjects.
It's weird?A chinese people come here...
This year I will take the graduation exam.so i come here via the google.
It's weird?A chinese people come here...
This year I will take the graduation exam.so i come here via the google.
Daan
- 1
- 0
I have an M.Sc. in "General Biology", but "Evolution and Ecology" would have been a better description. Currently I have a job as a Ph.D. student, doing theoretical ecology. I develop and examine models of population growth, typically existing of a few differential equations.
grumpymrgruff
- 16
- 2
I have a Bsc in biology with a mostly biochemical course load and a minor in chemistry. I'm a couple years into a PhD program in "interdisciplinary biology" (vague, I know). I'm working on dynamic models (mostly ODE- and PDE-based) of intracellular signaling in cancer cell differentiation and early developmental protein and gene interactions in Drosophila embryos. On the math/engineering side of things, I'm looking at uses of sparse grid-based interpolation to approximate cost functions in parameter fitting and model-aided experimental design.
kldickson
- 106
- 0
I'm a neurobiology student who is finishing up undergraduate education and going to graduate school for my PhD in neurobiology.
IsotropicSpinManifol
- 6
- 0
I am studying BSc./B.A majoring in Physics and Philosophy.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,317
- 2
iansmith said:I consider my self a bacteriologist with a focus on pathogenic bacteria but my BSc covered other biology field like ecology, plant biology and zoology.
I am doing my PhD in microbiology. My research focus is on two component-regulatory systems (signal transduction) of gram-positives bacteria and their influence on stress adaptation and growth of bacteria. My MSc research was on acquisition of iron by gram-negative bacteria with a focus on siderophore-independent mechanisms. My BSc research project was about plasmid biology.
Just to update my entry. I now have my PhD and working on post-doc. The research for post-doc will focus on biofilm formation of pig pathogen that causes a pleuropneumoniae.
Biophreak
- 32
- 0
BSc in Biotechnology
MS in molecular biology/cell biology with dissertation in proteinomics/algal virology
Currently PhD continuing my research
MS in molecular biology/cell biology with dissertation in proteinomics/algal virology
Currently PhD continuing my research
caristeenaa
- 3
- 0
Everyone here is so.. smart.
I'm slightly intimidated.
I'm a sophomore in HS taking AP biology.
I'm a sophomore in HS taking AP biology.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,229
- 61
Congratulations on the job! Is the pleuropneumoniae a major hazard for the pig, or also for humans?iansmith said:Just to update my entry. I now have my PhD and working on post-doc. The research for post-doc will focus on biofilm formation of pig pathogen that causes a pleuropneumoniae.
confusedbybio
- 1
- 0
I am in biology 201 just beginning.. this stuff is really confusing and hard to understand by the textbook description. Does anyone have any suggestions to how I may better understand? Are there any books out there that may explain things in beginner terms?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,229
- 61
Alberts - Molecular Biology of the Cell is a widely used book that's 'easy to read'
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?call=bv.View..ShowTOC&rid=mboc4.TOC&depth=10
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?call=bv.View..ShowTOC&rid=mboc4.TOC&depth=10
brandon429
- 37
- 0
BS back in '01. double major biology and psych. worked in microbiology for meat producers producing data on environmental pathogen vectors, then was into social work afterwards, now migrated into sales for a living. keep my biology alive in the backround working on ultra-small marine reef systems that grow scleractinian corals. I take these around to universities, rent them to schools, and do exhibits just to enjoy science talk
confusedbybio
I know how you feel
you will no doubt finds tons of digital definition flashcard programs and really cool free stuff on the web to work with the texts. love the books but i still do the freeware programs, there's thousands, mainly because lots of information is updating and the web is just so strong for this field
confusedbybio
I know how you feel
you will no doubt finds tons of digital definition flashcard programs and really cool free stuff on the web to work with the texts. love the books but i still do the freeware programs, there's thousands, mainly because lots of information is updating and the web is just so strong for this field
Last edited:
AyazM
- 42
- 1
I am a medical student and my interest basically spans surgeries. I thought perhaps a medical student might be expected to know a thing or two about biology especially of humans so occasional visits here wouldn't be that bad.
nixie
- 2
- 0
Hi all!
I'm finishing my Bsc. in plant biology (technically, in plant ecology, but I'm doing my fourth-year thesis in systematics).
I'm finishing my Bsc. in plant biology (technically, in plant ecology, but I'm doing my fourth-year thesis in systematics).
LebLlama
- 13
- 0
Im going to graduate with a BS in microbiology/chemistry in may.
Last edited by a moderator:
qedprigmosyno
- 26
- 0
Physics major with a premed track =.=
considering that double major with molecular cell biology
considering that double major with molecular cell biology
toomuchfun89
- 2
- 0
I'm in my junior year of my undergrad working towards a BA in biological sciences. I currently work in a lab that focuses on the conservation of amphibians. My project is looking at the sensitivity of juvenile ambystomatid salamanders to conspecifics and heterospecifics.
I'm also about to study abroad at James Cook University in Australia for a semester, with the hope of gaining some experience in marine biology so I can work in cetacean behavior someday... I know, I know, but everyone is entitled to dream a little, right?
I'm also about to study abroad at James Cook University in Australia for a semester, with the hope of gaining some experience in marine biology so I can work in cetacean behavior someday... I know, I know, but everyone is entitled to dream a little, right?
toomuchfun89
- 2
- 0
Haha! Thanks for the encouragement Monique! 
FairtuMydling
- 4
- 0
Hi All,
Great forum! I am new here.
As a bit of background, I have a PhD in chemistry but have shifted slowly but surely over the past few years to work in enzyme engineering and molecular modelling, primarily in the areas of lignocellulosic biofuels and enzymes for CO2 capture/conversion. I have to admit I like the molecular biology side of things more than the chemistry these days...but it is nice to have the chem background.
Looking forward to participating in the forum! Cya soon...
FM
Great forum! I am new here.
As a bit of background, I have a PhD in chemistry but have shifted slowly but surely over the past few years to work in enzyme engineering and molecular modelling, primarily in the areas of lignocellulosic biofuels and enzymes for CO2 capture/conversion. I have to admit I like the molecular biology side of things more than the chemistry these days...but it is nice to have the chem background.
Looking forward to participating in the forum! Cya soon...
FM
runner2010
- 1
- 0
Getting a B.S. in biology with minor in chemistry in 2 years. I initially thought I'd definitely go the vet med school track, but not sure anymore. I have volunteered at a farm working with large animals and I've realized it's not for me.lol. I currently work at a vet clinic and I really enjoy it, but I find myself enjoying working in the lab portion of the clinic more (not to mention I really like my bio and chem labs in school!).
So, now I'm not sure what I should do now!
I plan on seeing if any professors in the molecular bio department need undergrad research assistants next semester. I already have a B.S. in accounting and MIS, going back to school to do what I should have done the FIRST time around.
I love my classes, I have had the label "geek" thrown at me a few times..I guess I get too excited and no one cares to hear what I learned about in my cell bio or chem classes except me.haha Yesterday I was at the university library looking for references I need for my enzyme bio lab report and I felt like I was a kid in a candy store because I saw row upon row of books on everything science. I couldn't help myself, after finding a book I needed, I stayed another 45 minutes just browsing and pulling books...
So, now I'm not sure what I should do now!
I love my classes, I have had the label "geek" thrown at me a few times..I guess I get too excited and no one cares to hear what I learned about in my cell bio or chem classes except me.haha Yesterday I was at the university library looking for references I need for my enzyme bio lab report and I felt like I was a kid in a candy store because I saw row upon row of books on everything science. I couldn't help myself, after finding a book I needed, I stayed another 45 minutes just browsing and pulling books...
Jon Richfield
- 482
- 48
My qualifications are nothing special, though I have an Agricultural degree majoring in entomology and biochem, it is very rusty because I went off into computer work many years ago, in fact shortly after getting my BSc.
However, my obsession with biology dates back to about age 3 and has never subsided, and I have more nerve than anyone who thinks that formal qualification is a substitute for cogency or mental flexibility.
Accordingly, one of my views is that the educated application of half-knowledge is a major distinction between the quick thinker and the dead.
Conversely, loud opinions cannot shout down empirical contradiction. Not indefinitely anyway! (Not that that bothers politicians!)
However, my obsession with biology dates back to about age 3 and has never subsided, and I have more nerve than anyone who thinks that formal qualification is a substitute for cogency or mental flexibility.
Accordingly, one of my views is that the educated application of half-knowledge is a major distinction between the quick thinker and the dead.
Conversely, loud opinions cannot shout down empirical contradiction. Not indefinitely anyway! (Not that that bothers politicians!)
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 14
- Mentat
- · Replies 66 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 66