1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum What's your opinion about this book?

1. Oct 22, 2017 #1
    What's your opinion about the book on Quantum Field Theory by Ryder?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2017 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

It's one of my favored QFT books.

4. Oct 22, 2017 #3
    Had never seen such a easily and quickly derivation of the Klein Gordon Equation as he does

5. Oct 25, 2017 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It's a very good book. I used it to learn QFT. In parallel I read Bailin&Love, Gauge theories, which uses a path-integral-only approach. It's also very good. Note that this was in a time before there were Peskin&Schroeder (which I don't recommend to the beginner due to the many typos and the few but severe conceptual problems) and before Weinberg's three volumes. Volume 1 just came out a little later, and it was a revelation for me, but I think, I'd have had a hard time to understand it without my study of the more introductory books metioned above.

Nowadays I recommend

M. D. Schwartz, QFT and the Standard Model, Cam. Uni Press (2014)

6. Oct 25, 2017 #5
    Always good to know the opinion of a person with so many years working in the field!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted