What's your opinion about this book?

• Quantum
  • Thread starter Tio Barnabe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses different books on Quantum Field Theory and their merits. The person recommends the book by Ryder as one of their favorites and mentions its easy derivation of the Klein Gordon Equation. They also mention other good books from their time, before the release of newer books by Peskin&Schroeder and Weinberg. Nowadays, they recommend the book by M. D. Schwartz as a good introduction to QFT and the Standard Model.
Tio Barnabe
What's your opinion about the book on Quantum Field Theory by Ryder?

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
It's one of my favored QFT books.
Had never seen such a easily and quickly derivation of the Klein Gordon Equation as he does

It's a very good book. I used it to learn QFT. In parallel I read Bailin&Love, Gauge theories, which uses a path-integral-only approach. It's also very good. Note that this was in a time before there were Peskin&Schroeder (which I don't recommend to the beginner due to the many typos and the few but severe conceptual problems) and before Weinberg's three volumes. Volume 1 just came out a little later, and it was a revelation for me, but I think, I'd have had a hard time to understand it without my study of the more introductory books metioned above.

Nowadays I recommend

M. D. Schwartz, QFT and the Standard Model, Cam. Uni Press (2014)

Always good to know the opinion of a person with so many years working in the field!

1. What is your overall opinion of this book?

My overall opinion of this book is that it is well-written and thought-provoking. The author presents their ideas in a clear and concise manner, making it an enjoyable read.

2. What did you like most about this book?

The thing I liked most about this book was the depth of research and analysis that went into it. The author delved into various perspectives and provided strong evidence to support their arguments.

3. Were there any aspects of the book that you didn't enjoy?

While I overall enjoyed the book, there were a few sections that I found to be a bit repetitive and could have been condensed. However, this did not greatly impact my overall opinion of the book.

4. Do you think this book would be beneficial for others to read?

Yes, I believe this book would be beneficial for others to read. It presents important and relevant information that can broaden one's perspective and understanding of the topic.

5. Would you recommend this book to others?

Absolutely, I would highly recommend this book to others. It offers valuable insights and thought-provoking ideas that can contribute to meaningful discussions and personal growth.