Whats your opinion on iris mack

• Thread starter Futuregen600
  • Start date
In summary, Iris Mack is a highly accomplished mathematician, businesswoman, and former Enron energy trader. She has earned a doctorate in Applied Mathematics from Harvard and has held various prestigious positions in both academia and the business world. However, she has not received any major mathematical awards, possibly due to her focus on applied mathematics and consulting rather than pure research.
Futuregen600
her genius... she is one of the top mathematicians in the world... why no fields medal or wolf prize in mathematics?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Futuregen600 said:
her genius... she is one of the top mathematicians in the world... why no fields medal or wolf prize in mathematics?

Never until today I heard of this woman, and now that I've read a little it seems to be she's an applied mathematician into

financial and economics stuff, which perhaps doesn't have so wide a range to do mathematical research...

Besides, it could be she's not that brilliant...I really don't know, but your claim that she's one of the top mathematicians in the world

is something I just couldn't verify.

DonAntonio

Futuregen600 said:

Mack has been an astronaut semifinalist, one of Glamour magazine’s Top 10 college students, one of Glamour’s Top 10 working women, an investment banker, an Enron energy trader and an MIT professor. She was the second African-American female to earn a doctorate in Applied Mathematics from Harvard. Later she became a mathematics and business school professor at several academic institutions, while simultaneously running a consulting firm[2] Associated Technologists, Inc. (ATI).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_Mack

Pretty cool. How'd you hear about her?

It doesn't say if she made a major mathematical breakthrough. Quants don't typically get Fields medals. A lot of math and physics Ph.D's went into finance the past couple of decades. Once you go to the applied track and leave pure research, you're pretty much out of the Fields pool.

Looks like she's a great business person as well as a mathematician. That's a rare combination.

(edit)
Ah I found the specific answer to your question. From http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/PEEPS/mack_iris.html ...

Apparently teaching and research did not suit her and she eventually started her own consulting firm called Associated Technologists in Atlanta while teaching at Clark-Atlanta University.

You get the Fields medal for doing major research. And she left research to go into consulting.

She had a very interesting job at Enron managing their option strategies. Must have a lot of stories to tell about that place!

Last edited:

What is your opinion on Iris Mack?

I am a scientist and I do not have a personal opinion on individuals. My focus is on conducting research and analyzing data.

Can you provide any insights on the work of Iris Mack?

I am not familiar with the specific work of Iris Mack. As a scientist, I am constantly learning about new research and findings in my field, but I cannot speak to every individual's work.

Is Iris Mack well-respected in the scientific community?

I am not able to speak for the entire scientific community. However, if Iris Mack is a published scientist and her work has been peer-reviewed and accepted by reputable journals, then she is likely respected in her field.

Do you agree with the opinions or beliefs of Iris Mack?

As a scientist, I do not base my work on personal opinions or beliefs. I rely on evidence and data to draw conclusions and form hypotheses.

How does Iris Mack contribute to the field of science?

I am not familiar with Iris Mack's contributions to science. However, any individual working in the scientific field is likely contributing to the advancement of knowledge and understanding in their respective area of study.