matt.o said:
Having to do it in less than five minutes is a challenge, though!
Yes, it's a challenge, but I agree with Cristo on this. It's worth sitting down and thinking about it and coming up with a short summary of your work that can be understood by the lay public. Since most research is publicly funded, it's absolutely essential to be able to convey to the public what you do and why it's important to them.
You should actually be able to do it in far less than 5 min. You should be able to do it in two to three sentences.
For example, here is the lay description of my research that I can usually provide to anyone and they understand what I'm saying:
I study cells in a part of the brain that is important for controlling reproduction. By better understanding what cells are involved and how they work, we can better understand and treat infertility in women and develop safer birth control with less side effects.
I can expand that to about a paragraph in my grant applications when I need to provide a lay summary that's a little more specific, and I can further explain any part of that to someone with enough interest or knowledge to ask more specific questions. Being aware of the prevalence of religious fundamentalists who oppose birth control, I always mention infertility first so they hear that before they hear birth control. If someone questions why we should bother treating infertility, I explain about the connection between estrogen and things like bone mineral density (osteoporosis) and cardiovascular and stroke risks. Whatever their views on fertility treatments, once I explain that there are often other health risks to the type of infertility I study, they start to understand why the research I do is important.
That's the take-home message I want anyone to walk away with...why it is important enough to the general public to merit public funding. As long as I use taxpayer money to fund my work, I have an obligation to the taxpayers to explain to them what I do with their money and why it's important.