Wheatstone Bridge - Max power delivered

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum power delivered by a balanced wheat stone bridge. The suggested method is to use an expression for the power delivered to the load, not counting the power lost in the 4 ohm resistance of the battery. This can be done by calling the resistance of the network Z and using the current through Z and power delivered to it as I = V/(Z+4) and P = I²/Z, respectively. To find the maximum power delivered, one could use the derivative method to find the specific value of Z that maximizes the function.
cupid.callin

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=33119&stc=1&d=1300218210.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the net resistance as its a balanced wheat stone bridge ...

But how to find R for max power delivered?

Attachments

• 01188.jpg
    01188.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 688
Physics news on Phys.org
You need an expression for the power delivered to the load (not counting power lost in the 4 ohm resistance of the battery). I suggest you begin by calling the resistance of the network Z. Then the current through Z is I = V/(Z+4). The power delivered to it is P = I²/Z.
That function of Z will vary with Z and have a maximum for some specific value of Z. You could use the derivative method to find that value.

1. What is a Wheatstone Bridge?

A Wheatstone Bridge is a circuit used to measure resistance. It consists of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape with a voltage source and a galvanometer connected in between.

2. How does a Wheatstone Bridge work?

The Wheatstone Bridge works by comparing the unknown resistance with a known resistance. The voltage source is adjusted until the galvanometer reads zero, indicating that the two sides of the bridge are balanced and the unknown resistance can be calculated.

3. What is the maximum power that can be delivered by a Wheatstone Bridge?

The maximum power delivered by a Wheatstone Bridge is equal to half of the power supply voltage squared divided by the total resistance of the bridge. This is known as the maximum power theorem and occurs when the resistance of the galvanometer is equal to the resistance of the unknown resistor.

4. How do you calculate the maximum power delivered by a Wheatstone Bridge?

To calculate the maximum power, you would use the formula P = V2/4R, where P is power, V is the power supply voltage, and R is the total resistance of the bridge.

5. What are the practical applications of the Wheatstone Bridge?

The Wheatstone Bridge has many practical applications, including measuring strain in materials, determining unknown resistances, and accurately measuring small changes in resistance. It is also used in electronics to balance circuits and measure small changes in voltage.