1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheelbarrow in Static equilibrium

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wheelbarrow has a mass of 35.0 kg without the wheel. When empty, the center of mass is 0.400 m from the axle. A load with a mass of 55.0 kg is put in the wheelbarrow, 0.600 m from the axle. Ophelia holds the handles of the wheelbarrow, 1.20 m from the axle. She lifts the handles so that they make a 25.0° angle with the ground. What is the upward force that Ophelia applies to the handles in order to hold the wheelbarrow in that position?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0
    Torque=rFsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0 I figure there's nothing to find out here because it's fairly obvious...I think.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0

Here, I figure it's mg=Fnormal + Fophelia
    and since Ophelia is applying a torque force around the wheel:
    mg=Fnormal + rFosin[tex]\theta[/tex]

Some problems: I don't know how to solve for Fo since Fnormal is in there too and is unknown, and I don't know how the difference in xcm should come in other than choosing axis of origin (of which I chose the wheel)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2
    Am I not getting responses because everyone is as lost as me? Alas!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook