1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When A Mass is Falling from an Inclined Plane

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    A mass M is released from rest on a smooth plane inclined to the horizontal at 14 degrees. Find the time taken for the mass to travel 1m down the incline and the velocit attained at the end of that time.

I had no trouble with the first part - measuring the velocity and time for the part where it slides down the inclined plane.

However, the part where I am having trouble with is attempting to find the angle in which the mass makes with the ground and its line of motion when it completes the second part of its journey.

Anyone have any hints to do this? I drew a free body force diagram but I was really confused with the lines of motion.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Procrastinate! :smile:
    Sorry, I don't understand what the second part of the question is. :confused:

Is the mass leaving the plane? If so, how and why?

(if the plane just comes to and end, then the mass is simply a projectile with the initial speed you found in the first part, at the same angel as the plane)

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    Sorry, I think I must have looked over a part of the question and forgot to write it down.

A mass is released from rest 2m from the edge of a smooth plane inclined at 26 degrees to the horizontal. After reaching he edge of the plane, the mass falls to the floor,, 2m below.

Find the velocity and and the angle at which the mass strikes to the floor.

I just need a quick explanation of what happens when the mass is falling. Does it maintain the same angle, or does it change? Obviously, it changes because the answer is completely different angle but I just need to know how and I can complete the rest of the question. Thank you.

5. Nov 21, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

he he :rofl:
    It's a free-falling projectile. It starts with the same velocity that the previous part of the motion finished with. :wink:

(ignore reference to angel o:) in my previous post! :biggrin:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook