When and Where Will Spaceships #1 and #2 Meet in Special Relativity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SMG75
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relativity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
SMG75
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Spaceships--special relativity

Homework Statement


Spaceship #1 moves with a velocity of .2c in the positive x direction of reference frame S. Spaceship #2, moving in the same direction with a speed of .6c is 3 x 10^9 m behind. At what times in reference frames S, and in the reference frame of ship #1, will 2 catch up with 1.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I solved for the relative velocity of ship 2 in the IRF of ship 1. I got .7143c. I'm not really sure where to proceed from here. Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


The spaceships move in the same direction, so the relative velocity can't be larger than 0.6c. I don't think it's very useful to compute anyway.

Just compute when and where the spaceships catch up in frame S. This can be done in the classical way. Then use the lorentz transform to find the time in the frame of
ship #1