Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When are linear transformations not invariant?

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    I am studying invariance, and I came across this dilemma.
    Suppose we have a subspace with the basis <v1, v2> of the subspace (lets say U2)
    and we were to map v=c1v1+c2v2 and we let c2=0.
    Now c1T(v1)+c2T(v2)=k1c1v1+0*T(v2)= k1c1v1.
    I am doing a proof and need to
    know what the question means by the intersection of a collection of
    subspaces, and I believe that this is what it refers to,
    since we can map c1v1 of <v1> (the basis of "U1") to U1 and arrive at the same
    answer.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, it is not the linear transformation that is or is not invariant, it is a set of vectors that is or is not invariant under a transformation.

So T(c1v1+ c2v2)= T(c1v1) (because c2=0) T(c1v1)= c1T(v1). Now where do you get that c1T(v1)= k1c1v1? That is equivalent, of course, to saying that T(v1)= k v1 so that v1 is an eigenvector of T with eigenvalue k. The "intersection" of a collection of subspaces is just the intersection of the sets: those vectors that are in all of the subspaces. In linear algebra it is comparitively easy to show that the intersection of a collection of subspaces is itself a subspace.

I cannot see that "intersection of a collection of subspaces" has anything to do with T(c1v1). What, exactly, are you trying to prove?

4. Jun 6, 2009 #3
    Oh sorry, kind of got caught up in the definition of invariance.
    I do know how to prove this, but it was the definition that
    got me stuck, but you made it a bit more clear. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook