When are linear transformations not invariant?

In summary, the dilemma is this: if we let c2=0 in our equation for c1T(v1), then v1 is an eigenvector of T with eigenvalue k1. But if we let c2=0, then T(v1)=k1c1v1, which is equivalent to saying that v1 is an eigenvector of T with eigenvalue k.
evilpostingmong
I am studying invariance, and I came across this dilemma.
Suppose we have a subspace with the basis <v1, v2> of the subspace (lets say U2)
and we were to map v=c1v1+c2v2 and we let c2=0.
Now c1T(v1)+c2T(v2)=k1c1v1+0*T(v2)= k1c1v1.
I am doing a proof and need to
know what the question means by the intersection of a collection of
subspaces, and I believe that this is what it refers to,
since we can map c1v1 of <v1> (the basis of "U1") to U1 and arrive at the same
answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
evilpostingmong said:
I am studying invariance, and I came across this dilemma.
Suppose we have a subspace with the basis <v1, v2> of the subspace (lets say U2)
and we were to map v=c1v1+c2v2 and we let c2=0.
Now c1T(v1)+c2T(v2)=k1c1v1+0*T(v2)= k1c1v1.
I am doing a proof and need to
know what the question means by the intersection of a collection of
subspaces, and I believe that this is what it refers to,
since we can map c1v1 of <v1> (the basis of "U1") to U1 and arrive at the same
answer.
First, it is not the linear transformation that is or is not invariant, it is a set of vectors that is or is not invariant under a transformation.

So T(c1v1+ c2v2)= T(c1v1) (because c2=0) T(c1v1)= c1T(v1). Now where do you get that c1T(v1)= k1c1v1? That is equivalent, of course, to saying that T(v1)= k v1 so that v1 is an eigenvector of T with eigenvalue k. The "intersection" of a collection of subspaces is just the intersection of the sets: those vectors that are in all of the subspaces. In linear algebra it is comparitively easy to show that the intersection of a collection of subspaces is itself a subspace.

I cannot see that "intersection of a collection of subspaces" has anything to do with T(c1v1). What, exactly, are you trying to prove?

Oh sorry, kind of got caught up in the definition of invariance.
I do know how to prove this, but it was the definition that
got me stuck, but you made it a bit more clear. Thank you!

1. What are linear transformations?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a vector space to another vector space while preserving the properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What does it mean for a linear transformation to be invariant?

A linear transformation is considered invariant if the transformation does not change the underlying structure or properties of the original vector space.

3. When are linear transformations not invariant?

Linear transformations are not invariant when the transformation changes the structure or properties of the original vector space, such as altering the angle or distance between vectors.

4. Can you provide an example of a linear transformation that is not invariant?

One example of a linear transformation that is not invariant is a reflection transformation, where vectors are reflected across a line of symmetry. This changes the orientation of the vectors and thus, is not invariant.

5. How is the concept of invariance important in linear algebra?

Invariance is an important concept in linear algebra because it helps us understand how transformations affect vector spaces. It allows us to identify when a transformation is changing the underlying structure of the space and when it is preserving it. This is crucial in many applications of linear algebra, such as computer graphics and data analysis.