When ave. rate of change = instantaneous rate of change

In summary, the question is asking for an interval and a point where the average rate of change and the instantaneous rate of change are equal for the given function f(x) = (x-2)/(x-5). This can be solved using the Mean Value Theorem, which guarantees the existence of a number c such that f'(c) = (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a). By graphing the function, we can see that it has a vertical asymptote at x = 5 and is continuous on (-infinity, 5) and (5, infinity). By choosing two numbers in the interior of either of these intervals and setting f'(x) equal to the calculated average rate of change, we can solve for x
DespicableMe

Homework Statement

Given the function f(x)= (x-2) / (x-5), determine an interval and a point where the ave. R.O.C and the instantaneous R.O.C are equal.

Homework Equations

IROC = [ f(x+h) - f(x) ] /h
AROC = f(x2) - f(x1) / x2 - x1

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order to satisfy this, the x's must satisfy both equations when using the AROC and IROC formulas.
I'm not sure where to start, though.
I could do guess and check, but I need help for an algebraic method.

Physics news on Phys.org
DespicableMe said:

Homework Statement

Given the function f(x)= (x-2) / (x-5), determine an interval and a point where the ave. R.O.C and the instantaneous R.O.C are equal.

Homework Equations

IROC = [ f(x+h) - f(x) ] /h
AROC = f(x2) - f(x1) / x2 - x1

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order to satisfy this, the x's must satisfy both equations when using the AROC and IROC formulas.
I'm not sure where to start, though.
I could do guess and check, but I need help for an algebraic method.
You might not have seen the Mean Value Theorem yet, but it guarantees that if f is continuous on some interval [a, b], and differentiable on (a, b), then there exists a number c such that f'(c) = (f(b) - f(a))/(b - a).

If you haven't graphed your function, by all means do so. Your function has a vertical asymptote at x = 5, but is continuous everywhere else; i.e., on (-infinity, 5) or (5, infinity). Pick any two numbers that are in the interior of either of these intervals and calculate the average rate of change. Then set f'(x) equal to this number to solve for x.

1. What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is the overall change in a quantity over a certain interval, while the instantaneous rate of change is the change in the quantity at a specific moment in time.

2. How do you calculate the average rate of change of a function?

To calculate the average rate of change, you need to find the change in the quantity divided by the change in the independent variable over a specific interval.

3. How is the instantaneous rate of change related to the derivative of a function?

The instantaneous rate of change at a specific point is equal to the value of the derivative of the function at that point.

4. Can the average rate of change be negative?

Yes, the average rate of change can be negative if the quantity is decreasing over the given interval.

5. How does the concept of average rate of change apply to real-life scenarios?

The concept of average rate of change can be applied to various real-life situations, such as calculating the average speed of a moving object or the average rate of growth of a population over a certain period of time.