1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding rate of change formulas with the given information

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let Q(t)=t2. Find a formula for the average rate of change (ROC) of Q over the interval [1, t] and use it to estimate the instantaneous ROC at t = 1.

2. Relevant equations

For x1 ≠ x0, the average rate of change of y with respect to x over [x0, x1] is the ratio

Average ROC = Δf/Δx = f(x1) - f(x0) / x1 - x2

Finding the instantaneous rate of change is basically the same as finding the avg ROC, except instead of using the intervals that are given (say [7, 10] for example) they give you one number, and you create your own intervals by choosing numbers extremely close to that given number (say [7, 7.01] or [7, 6.99] etc.)

3. The attempt at a solution

All I can think of is plugging in the intervals as with previous problems. Plugging t into t gives you t.

Plugging 1 into t gives you one squared which is one. Then you subtract those two to get

t2 - 1. The bottom portion which is x1 - x2 would look just like t - 1.

So maybe t squared minus one over t minus one is the formula? I suppose I could factor it out to

(t +1)(t - 1) / (t - 1) cancel out the expressions and get t + 1. So t + 1 would be the requested formula for the average rate of change? To get instantaneous ROC at t = 1, wouldn't I just plug one into "t" and get 2?

That can't be right

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2
    Anyone have some ideas?

4. Apr 5, 2013 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks right.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted