1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When can I substitute transformations into the Hamiltonian?

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1
    1. If I know that ##H(q_i,p_i,t)## is a valid Hamiltonian for which the hamilton equations hold. Now we are given that ##Q_j(q_i,p_i)## and ##P_j(q_i,p_i)## are canonical transformations. This means that there is a function ##K(Q_j,P_j)##, the new hamiltonian, for which the Hamilton equations hold in the new variables.

QUESTION : What is this new function ##K##? Can I just substitute the transformations into the old ##H## to find ##K##? If not, when is this allowed?

Reason for confusion: My notes from class tell me this is allowed. However any source on the net I find says that in general canonical transformations do not preserve the Hamiltonian and thus ##H## and ##K## are not always equal.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2015 #2
    If P and Q depend only p and q, and the there is no additional time dependence in the coordinate transformation, then
    $$K(Q, P) = H(q(Q,P), p(Q, P))$$

Otherwise it can take forms such as
    $$K(Q, P) = H(q(Q,P), p(Q, P)) + \frac{\partial F_1(q(Q, P), Q, t)}{\partial t} $$
    Where for this type of transformation
    $$p = \frac{\partial F_1}{\partial q} $$
    $$P = -\frac{\partial F_1}{\partial Q} $$
    So in this case if ##F_1## has no time dependence then ##K ##is just ##H##at the corresponding coordinates.

4. Mar 29, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the answer. This is exactly what I have thought up myself by now. One more question since you seem to know the subject if you don't mind?

I'm a bit confused on the 4 ''types'' of generating functions and how their forms are found. For example for ##F(q,Q,p)## the form makes sense because it's just ##F=F(q,Q,p)##, but how does one knows to add the ##-QP## when dealing with the ##F(q,P,t)## type? It seems to work out alright but I seem to not grasp how one can make these 4 distinctions so clear and so strict? What if I take ##F=F(q,P,t)## as the generating function without the ##-QP## part?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted