When can you take the limit of both sides?

• Thread starter letmeknow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses when it is possible to take the limit, derivative, integral, absolute value, and sup/inf of both sides of an equation. The answer is that it depends on the problem and the functions involved. If the functions are continuous, then it is possible to perform these operations from either side. However, if they are not continuous, then it may not be possible. The decision to perform these operations must be made on a case-by-case basis.
letmeknow

Homework Statement

A couple questions that have been building up here. I usually don't see them explicitly answered in the text.

When can you take the limit of both sides of an equation? And can you get rid of the limit from both sides of an equation?

How about taking the derivative or integral of both sides?

Can you ever take the absolute value of both sides?

What about taking the sup or inf of both sides?

These questions should help me a little bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always do any of the above on both sides. Whether it exists on each side or whether they are equal on both sides depends completely on the problem. Sorry if that's not much an answer, but it's not a very good question.

Sorry about the question. I'm worse with words than math, and you know about my math skills Dick.

I see that a law like lim[ f(x) + g(x)] = f+g, might confirm this. I usually take this law in one direction -->. But going the other direction atleast partly justifies what I was asking.

If f and g are continuous at x0 then, sure, lim x->x0 f(x)+g(x)=f(x0)+g(x0) from either side. If they aren't then all bets are off. It depend exactly on what f and g are and what exactly you are trying to do. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to your question.

1. When can you take the limit of both sides?

The limit of both sides can be taken when evaluating a mathematical expression or function that involves an independent variable approaching a specific value. This process is used to determine the behavior or value of the function at that particular point.

2. How do you take the limit of both sides?

To take the limit of both sides, you must first set up the expression or function with the independent variable approaching the desired value. Then, you can use algebraic techniques or the concept of infinity to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

3. What are the conditions for taking the limit of both sides?

The conditions for taking the limit of both sides include ensuring that the function is continuous at the point of evaluation and that the limit does not approach infinity or negative infinity. Additionally, the function should not have any undefined points or asymptotes at the point of evaluation.

4. Can you always take the limit of both sides?

No, there are certain cases where you cannot take the limit of both sides. For example, if the function is discontinuous or has undefined points or asymptotes at the point of evaluation, the limit cannot be determined. In some cases, the limit may also approach infinity or negative infinity, making it impossible to take the limit.

5. Why is taking the limit of both sides important in science?

Taking the limit of both sides is important in science because it allows us to better understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. This is especially useful in physics, where we can use the concept of limits to analyze the speed, acceleration, and other important variables of a moving object at a particular moment in time.