When do objects factorize uniquely?

• Thread starter Gerenuk
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Integer number and groups have unique factorizations into irreducible parts.

In general, what are the abstract requirements for mathematical objects to factorize uniquely?

I suppose for this question to ask a binary operation has to be defined. So is this question only possible for elements of groups?

Answers and Replies

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The specific term for this (more specific than group) is UFD: a unique factorization domain. I don't know of any easy characterizations of UFDs.

Isn't it basically just a case of unique factorization in an integral domain/communitive ring, similar to what is found with the integers, and called, "The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic"? A prime being a number, not 1, divisible only by 1 or by itself.

The main property of a prime being if p/ab, then p/a or p/b. This can be shown with the Euclidean Algorithm.
Proof: if p does not divide a, then there exists integers such that: 1 = pm+an. Thus b=bpm+ban. Thus p divides b.

Gerenuk: I suppose for this question to ask a binary operation has to be defined. So is this question only possible for elements of groups?

Every element of a group has an inverse. In such a case a divides b gives b times a inverse. What we want is a group under addition and multiplicatively an Integral Domain.

Last edited: