Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When do objects factorize uniquely?

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    Integer number and groups have unique factorizations into irreducible parts.

In general, what are the abstract requirements for mathematical objects to factorize uniquely?

I suppose for this question to ask a binary operation has to be defined. So is this question only possible for elements of groups?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The specific term for this (more specific than group) is UFD: a unique factorization domain. I don't know of any easy characterizations of UFDs.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    Isn't it basically just a case of unique factorization in an integral domain/communitive ring, similar to what is found with the integers, and called, "The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic"? A prime being a number, not 1, divisible only by 1 or by itself.

The main property of a prime being if p/ab, then p/a or p/b. This can be shown with the Euclidean Algorithm.
    Proof: if p does not divide a, then there exists integers such that: 1 = pm+an. Thus b=bpm+ban. Thus p divides b.

Gerenuk: I suppose for this question to ask a binary operation has to be defined. So is this question only possible for elements of groups?

Every element of a group has an inverse. In such a case a divides b gives b times a inverse. What we want is a group under addition and multiplicatively an Integral Domain.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?