When does equality occur in the inequality (a^2+b^2)cos(α-β)<=2ab?
- Thread starter harry654
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Inequality Triangle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
98 replies · 13K views
Physics news on Phys.org
harry654
- 58
- 0
yes I see, but what inequality do you think ?
harry654
- 58
- 0
but I can't
in (a²+b²)cos(α-β)≤2ab
substitude 2ab because I must prove that inequality and when I substitude 2ab it isn't mathematical proof
in (a²+b²)cos(α-β)≤2ab
substitude 2ab because I must prove that inequality and when I substitude 2ab it isn't mathematical proof
harry654
- 58
- 0
OK
I have (a²+b²)cos(α-β) ≤ (a²+b²-h²)/cos(α-β)
and from it I get
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-h²
but how can I tidy up later?
I have (a²+b²)cos(α-β) ≤ (a²+b²-h²)/cos(α-β)
and from it I get
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-h²
but how can I tidy up later?
harry654
- 58
- 0
OK
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-h²
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-a²-b²+2abcos(α-β)
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ 2abcos(α-β)
(a²+b²)cos(α-β) ≤ 2ab
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-h²
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-a²-b²+2abcos(α-β)
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ 2abcos(α-β)
(a²+b²)cos(α-β) ≤ 2ab
harry654
- 58
- 0
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-a²-b²+2abcos(α-β)
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ 2abcos(α-β) OK?
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ 2abcos(α-β) OK?
harry654
- 58
- 0
and how can I simplify (a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-h² ? I can only as (a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-a²-b²+2abcos(α-β) :(
harry654
- 58
- 0
similar terms on the same side? uff
Last edited:
harry654
- 58
- 0
I don't know how carry on again :(
harry654
- 58
- 0
could you write me an inequality at which should I arrive?
harry654
- 58
- 0
I tried this
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-h²
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β)-(a²+b²)≤ -h²
but how carry on... I am desperate:(
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β) ≤ a²+b²-h²
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β)-(a²+b²)≤ -h²
but how carry on... I am desperate:(
harry654
- 58
- 0
good morning
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β)-(a²+b²)=
=(a²+b²)(cos²(α-β)-1)=
=(a²+b²)(cos(α-β)-1)(cos(α-β)+1)
OK?
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β)-(a²+b²)=
=(a²+b²)(cos²(α-β)-1)=
=(a²+b²)(cos(α-β)-1)(cos(α-β)+1)
OK?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 25,837
- 258
harry654 said:good morning
(a²+b²)cos²(α-β)-(a²+b²)=
=(a²+b²)(cos²(α-β)-1)=
=(a²+b²)(cos(α-β)-1)(cos(α-β)+1)
OK?
oh good grief!
no wonder you've been having difficulty with this question
take the morning off and become familiar with using your https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=18" …
in particular cos2 + sin2 = 1
Last edited by a moderator:
harry654
- 58
- 0
should I substitute 1=cos²(α-β)+sin²(α-β)
harry654
- 58
- 0
so
I get (a²+b²)(cos(α-β)-cos²(α-β)-sin²(α-β))(cos(α-β)+cos²(α-β)+sin²(α-β))
And now?
I get (a²+b²)(cos(α-β)-cos²(α-β)-sin²(α-β))(cos(α-β)+cos²(α-β)+sin²(α-β))
And now?
harry654
- 58
- 0
(a²+b²)2cos(α-β)
and then?
and then?
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 25,837
- 258
harry654 said:(a²+b²)2cos(α-β)
(i'm fascinated to know where you got that from
harry, I'm more or less saying things at random while i wait for you to come up with the next step
i get the impression you're saying things at random too
i've given you several big hints, but I'm not going to give you the actual answer
even the next step is not the end of the problem
have you been having similar difficulty with other problems on this course?
if so, this obviously isn't "your thing", and you should seriously consider changing course

harry654
- 58
- 0
(i'm fascinated to know where you got that from)
I am sorry I made a mistake...
harry, I'm more or less saying things at random while i wait for you to come up with the next step
i get the impression you're saying things at random too
i've given you several big hints, but I'm not going to give you the actual answer
even the next step is not the end of the problem
have you been having similar difficulty with other problems on this course?
Yes, but I am trying to learn this kind of problems and I need help. I'm sorry to bother you.
(a²+b²)(cos(α-β)-cos²(α-β)-sin²(α-β))(cos(α-β)+cos²(α-β)+sin²(α-β))
(a²+b²)(-sin²(α-β)) is that right?
I am sorry I made a mistake...
harry, I'm more or less saying things at random while i wait for you to come up with the next step
i get the impression you're saying things at random too
i've given you several big hints, but I'm not going to give you the actual answer
even the next step is not the end of the problem
have you been having similar difficulty with other problems on this course?
Yes, but I am trying to learn this kind of problems and I need help. I'm sorry to bother you.
(a²+b²)(cos(α-β)-cos²(α-β)-sin²(α-β))(cos(α-β)+cos²(α-β)+sin²(α-β))
(a²+b²)(-sin²(α-β)) is that right?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 25,837
- 258
harry654 said:(a²+b²)(-sin²(α-β)) is that right?
at last!
ok, let's recap where we've got to …
we have a triangle BCD, its sides have lengths a b and h, and their opposite angles are α 180°-β and α-β; and we know that α+β > 90°
and we now have (or rather, we need to prove) the formula (a²+b²)sin²(α-β) ≥ h²
we don't particularly want h (it's not in the final answer), so the next step will be to eliminate it …
how?
harry654
- 58
- 0
substitute h²=a²+b²-2abcos(α-β)
Similar threads
When does equality hold? schwarz inequality
- Terrell
- · Replies 5 ·
- Calculus and Beyond Homework Help
- Replies
- 5
What is the Formula for the Area of a Triangle and When Does Equality Hold?
- melese
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 1
Interchanging Limits: When Does Equality Hold?
- EV33
- · Replies 3 ·
- Calculus and Beyond Homework Help
- Replies
- 3
When does equality hold in Cauchy-Schwarz inequality
- Hitman2-2
- · Replies 1 ·
- Calculus and Beyond Homework Help
- Replies
- 1