1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When does Force of Friction = Fnet

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1
    Just need to know, when does Force of Friction = Fnet

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Forces

This question is far too vague. If you want homework help, you're going to have to post a specific homework problem with details.

That having been said, it's obvious that the force of friction acting on an object is equal to the net force acting on that object IF that friction force is the only force present. It's sort of a case of ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

4. Jul 7, 2008 #3

If I'm understanding your question correctly, if you you have a block on a surface and you apply a force to the side of the block the force due to friction will equal the applied force until what happens?

5. Jul 7, 2008 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can certainly speculate as to what his scenario is, but unless he tells us, we can't help him. I was trying to drive home the very important point that the question that he was asking was ill-posed. At the very least, it was insufficient, because it has only a trivial answer, which I gave him. We can't elaborate because there is no universal way of doing so (the answer is entirely situation-specific).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?