1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B When does gravity take over surface tension?

1. Sep 19, 2017 #1
    I want to demonstrate to flat earthers that water does indeed stick to a ball. If we want to do a scale model of the earth, at which radius will gravity overcome the surface tension?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be a waste of time.

4. Sep 20, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put a drinking straw into a glass of water and the water will rise up the straw until gravity "overcomes" surface tension.

5. Sep 20, 2017 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The Bond number (Eotvos number) is the ratio of gravitational and interfacial energies: when the Bond number is high, gravity dominates and vice-versa. So all you need to do is write down the Bond number for your scale model and determine what the critical value of 'planetary' mass is (when Bo = 1)

6. Sep 20, 2017 #5
    For FEers, maybe. The question itself is worth an answer, as it is an interesting physics challenge and I would like to know the answer.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. Sep 20, 2017 #6
    That's a good start! I'll check that. Thanks!

8. Sep 20, 2017 #7
    Is there a formula that I can use?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted