1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I When does the vector potential A affect the E field?

1. Oct 28, 2017 #1
    This is probably fairly simple, but I have a hard time to grasp the concept of the vector potential A in electromgnetism. Especially, in the following equation for the electric field :

[tex]\vec{E} = - \nabla V - \frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial t}[/tex]

When does the second term is not 0 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the vector potential is time-dependent.

4. Oct 28, 2017 #3
    Aha, thanks, but that's obvious in the equation. I'm looking to what makes it time-dependent.

EDIT : Well actually, I suppose this is when B is time-dependant ?

5. Oct 28, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need charge distributions or currents that change over time. Otherwise everything can be treated as static.

6. Oct 28, 2017 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

See Jefimenko's equations.

7. Oct 29, 2017 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

As the most simple example take the free plane-wave modes of the electromagnetic field. In the radiation gauge, i.e., with the potentials fulfilling
    $$A^0=V=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}=0,$$
    You have
    $$\vec{A}(t,\vec{x})=\vec{A}_0 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}),$$
    where ##\vec{A}_0 \cdot \vec{k}=0## and ##\omega=c |\vec{k}|##. Then
    $$\vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{A}=\mathrm{i} \omega/c \vec{A}_0 \exp(\cdots), \quad \vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A} = \mathrm{i} \vec{k} \times \vec{A}_0 \exp(\cdots).$$

8. Oct 29, 2017 #7
    If the underlying space is simply connected, the time derivative of the vector potential vanishes if the time derivative of the magnetic field vanishes:

##\mathrm{d}_\mathrm{s}B = 0 \Rightarrow B = \mathrm{d}_\mathrm{s} A##, where the subscript s stands for "spatial". Or in other notation ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A} = \vec{B}##. You can pull the time derivative into ##\mathrm{d}_\mathrm{s}##.

The time derivative of ##\vec{B}## vanishes if and only if ##\vec{j} + \frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t} = 0## (in natural units with ##c=1##).

If the underlying space is not simply connected, there does not a priori exist a vector potential, and hence the right side of your equation does not necessarily exist.

9. Oct 30, 2017 #8
    Thanks for the answers and insights ! It does help.

10. Nov 7, 2017 #9

Jano L.

Gold Member

That's wrong. According to Maxwell's equations, the time derivative of B vanishes if and only if
    $$
    \nabla \times \mathbf{E} = \mathbf{0}.
    $$

11. Nov 7, 2017 #10
    Sure, I would edit it, but somehow this isn't possible any longer. But thanks for correcting it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted