When does the vector potential A affect the E field?

In summary, the vector potential A in electromagnetism is a concept that can be difficult to grasp, especially in the equation for the electric field. The second term in the equation, which includes the vector potential, is not equal to zero when the vector potential is time-dependent. This can be seen in Jefimenko's equations. In order for the vector potential to be time-dependent, there must be charge distributions or currents that change over time. However, in certain cases, such as free plane-wave modes, the time derivative of the vector potential can vanish if the underlying space is simply connected. If the space is not simply connected, the concept of the vector potential may not apply. Overall, understanding the time-dependency of the vector
DoobleD
This is probably fairly simple, but I have a hard time to grasp the concept of the vector potential A in electromgnetism. Especially, in the following equation for the electric field :

[tex]\vec{E} = - \nabla V - \frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial t}[/tex]

When does the second term is not 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the vector potential is time-dependent.

Likes vanhees71 and NFuller
Orodruin said:
When the vector potential is time-dependent.

Aha, thanks, but that's obvious in the equation. I'm looking to what makes it time-dependent.

EDIT : Well actually, I suppose this is when B is time-dependant ?

You need charge distributions or currents that change over time. Otherwise everything can be treated as static.

Likes DoobleD
DoobleD said:
Aha, thanks, but that's obvious in the equation. I'm looking to what makes it time-dependent.

EDIT : Well actually, I suppose this is when B is time-dependant ?
See Jefimenko's equations.

As the most simple example take the free plane-wave modes of the electromagnetic field. In the radiation gauge, i.e., with the potentials fulfilling
$$A^0=V=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}=0,$$
You have
$$\vec{A}(t,\vec{x})=\vec{A}_0 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}),$$
where ##\vec{A}_0 \cdot \vec{k}=0## and ##\omega=c |\vec{k}|##. Then
$$\vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{A}=\mathrm{i} \omega/c \vec{A}_0 \exp(\cdots), \quad \vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A} = \mathrm{i} \vec{k} \times \vec{A}_0 \exp(\cdots).$$

Likes DoobleD and Orodruin
If the underlying space is simply connected, the time derivative of the vector potential vanishes if the time derivative of the magnetic field vanishes:

##\mathrm{d}_\mathrm{s}B = 0 \Rightarrow B = \mathrm{d}_\mathrm{s} A##, where the subscript s stands for "spatial". Or in other notation ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A} = \vec{B}##. You can pull the time derivative into ##\mathrm{d}_\mathrm{s}##.

The time derivative of ##\vec{B}## vanishes if and only if ##\vec{j} + \frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t} = 0## (in natural units with ##c=1##).

If the underlying space is not simply connected, there does not a priori exist a vector potential, and hence the right side of your equation does not necessarily exist.

Thanks for the answers and insights ! It does help.

Metmann said:
The time derivative of ##\vec{B}## vanishes if and only if ##\vec{j} + \frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t} = 0## (in natural units with ##c=1##).

That's wrong. According to Maxwell's equations, the time derivative of B vanishes if and only if
$$
\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = \mathbf{0}.
$$

Likes Metmann, DoobleD and vanhees71
Jano L. said:
That's wrong

Sure, I would edit it, but somehow this isn't possible any longer. But thanks for correcting it.

What is the vector potential A?

The vector potential A is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to represent the magnetic field. It is defined as a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a given point in space.

How does the vector potential A affect the E field?

The vector potential A affects the electric field (E field) through Ampere's law, which states that the circulation of the vector potential A around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop. This relationship is known as the Ampere-Maxwell law and shows how changes in the vector potential A can induce changes in the E field.

Under what conditions does the vector potential A affect the E field?

The vector potential A affects the E field when there are time-varying magnetic fields or currents present. In other words, if there are changes in the magnetic field over time, there will be corresponding changes in the E field due to the vector potential A.

How can the vector potential A be calculated?

The vector potential A can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field at a point to the current flowing through a wire. It can also be calculated using Maxwell's equations, specifically the Ampere-Maxwell law mentioned earlier.

What are some practical applications of the vector potential A affecting the E field?

The vector potential A affecting the E field has various practical applications, including in the design of electromagnets and in the study of electromagnetic waves. It is also used in the development of electric motors and generators, as well as in the understanding of the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.