Potential of N Cylindrical Conductors of Infinite Length

In summary, the electric field of an infinite conductor of net charge Q along the x-y plane is easily found using Gauss's Law.
Zap
The electric field of an infinite conductor of net charge Q along the x-y plane is easily found using Gauss's Law:

$$ \vec E(x, y) = \frac {\lambda} {2\pi \epsilon}\frac {[(x-x_c)\hat x + (y-y_c)\hat y]} {[(x - x_c)^2 + (y - y_c)^2]^3}, $$

where ##x_c## and ##y_c## mark the location of the center of the cylinder on the ##x## and ##y## axes respectively and ##\lambda## is the linear charge density.

In the electrostatic case, the potential can be found by solving ## \vec E = - \nabla V## by the method of separation of variables from the radius of the cylinder ##R## to any point along the x-y plane ##r = \sqrt {(x-x_c)^2 + (y-y_c)^2} ##:

$$\int_R^r dV = -\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon} \int_R^r \vec E \cdot d\vec r .$$

This gives

$$ V(x, y) = V(R) - \frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon} \ln (\frac{R}{\sqrt{(x-x_c)^2 + (y-y_c)^2}}),$$

in which ##V(R)## is the potential of the cylinder.

This seems to give a good result for a single cylinder. However, when using the superposition principle for ##N## parallel cylinders of equal radius ##R## and linear charge density ##\lambda##, the following is found:

$$ V(x, y) = \sum_{i=1}^N V_i(R) - \frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon} \sum_{i=1}^N \ln (\frac{R}{\sqrt{(x-x_i)^2 + (y-y_i)^2}}). $$

A contour plot of this result gives N cylinders, but they are all at the same potential ##\sum_{i=1}^N V_i(R)##.

My question is, is there anyway to define ##N## infinite and parallel cylinders which are at different voltages?

I am trying to create an approximate model of a grid made of around 24 parallel wires, which are not at the same potential.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the same procedure, only you leave ##\lambda_i## inside the summation.

I see a parallel with drift chamber field shaping wires, which google; e.g. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Layout-of-a-drift-chamber-cell-where-a-sensing-wire-is-placed-in-the-center-of-an_fig2_40618974

But the natural log makes it so that the potential on all the wires go to ##\sum V_i(R)##, regardless of what ##\lambda_i## is, and the potential far away goes to negative infinity.

I don't think it makes sense.

Can't have V = 0 at infinity for infinite wires. However far you go, you see the same line charge.

Has to do with https://www.iopb.res.in/~somen/Courses/QM2016/RG_electro.pdf -- too complicated for me.

Right. I think that is why this doesn't appear to be a good model for this application.

The logarithm sets ##\Delta V## to zero on the surface of all the electrodes. The superposition principle doesn't work here, at least in the way I want it to, because we need the condition that voltage goes to zero at infinity and use that as the reference point for each electrode. Then, we can set the surface of each electrode to a different voltage and summing would produce the correct result. Here, it doesn't work, because each electrode's reference point is its own surface. Therefore, the voltage at the surface of all electrodes cannot be different, because the reference points must be the same.

I looked at a finite line of charge as another possibility. However, that one is not good either, because the radius of the wires is a parameter we are trying to investigate.

I think a ring of charge is probably the best approximation for the field along a two dimensional plane, but I am struggling with solving the integral.

Last edited:

1. What is the potential of N cylindrical conductors of infinite length?

The potential of N cylindrical conductors of infinite length refers to the amount of electric potential energy that can be stored in a system consisting of N infinitely long cylindrical conductors. This potential is dependent on the number of conductors present and their respective properties such as charge and distance from each other.

2. How is the potential of N cylindrical conductors of infinite length calculated?

The potential of N cylindrical conductors of infinite length can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the conductors, and r is the distance between them. This formula assumes that the conductors are evenly distributed and infinitely long.

3. What is the significance of N cylindrical conductors of infinite length in practical applications?

N cylindrical conductors of infinite length are often used in theoretical models to understand the behavior of electric fields and potential in more complex systems. They also serve as a simplified representation of real-life conductors, such as wires or transmission lines, which can help in the design and analysis of electrical circuits.

4. How does the potential of N cylindrical conductors of infinite length change with distance?

The potential of N cylindrical conductors of infinite length follows an inverse relationship with distance, meaning that as the distance between the conductors increases, the potential decreases. This is due to the fact that the electric field strength decreases with distance, and potential is directly proportional to electric field strength.

5. Can the potential of N cylindrical conductors of infinite length ever be equal to zero?

It is possible for the potential of N cylindrical conductors of infinite length to be equal to zero, but this would require specific conditions such as equal and opposite charges on each conductor, or a specific arrangement of conductors where the potential cancels out. In most cases, the potential will not be exactly zero due to the presence of other factors such as stray charges or imperfections in the conductors.