When is a magnetic core considered saturated ? At 50% of core - 100%?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VinnyCee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Core Magnetic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
VinnyCee
Messages
486
Reaction score
0
When is a magnetic core considered "saturated"? At 50% of core - 100%?

So I am doing some simulations of inductors on the Ansys Maxwell software for electromagnetic simulation. I have a simple inductor with a Metglas core and copper coil. I'm trying to figure out what current is required to bring the core into "saturation" but I'm not sure what constitutes "saturation"!

Metglas datasheet says that the material is in saturation after a B-field of 0.77 Tesla is induced upon it. So what does that mean, that a 0.77 T field must be present in ALL of the core, or just 50% or just in the area covered by the windings?

Here, the middle 50% of the core is over 0.77T:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2393/50percentsaturation.jpg

And here the whole core is over 0.77T:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5006/100percentsaturation.jpg


Is there a standard for determining when a core of a specified material is truly operating as a saturated core?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org


Saturation is measured on toroids, where the induction is uniform over a full circle.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person