When is reporting posts helpful?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, it is helpful for members to report obvious spam and violations of policies using the 'report post' feature. While the staff does their best to monitor all threads, it is impossible to catch everything. Reporting bad posts allows the staff to take action and maintain the forum's standards. It is recommended to report one post per member per thread and include a message mentioning any additional violations on the same page or thread. This prevents flooding the staff's inboxes and helps keep the forum organized.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
Is it really helpful to the staff for members to report obvious spam and such, using the 'report post' feature, or does it just become bothersome?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is never bothersome. While the staff usually can detect this, it is impossible to read all the messages all the time. We rely on the members to report such violations of our policies.

To quote Smokey Bear, "Only YOU can prevent forrest fires!".

Zz.

It's not really bothersome. it's there just in case. maybe if nobody reports a post, it won't get deleted because the mentors haven't read it, and maybe offend more people. I see it as a useful tool

Just an fyi (people have asked before): while we typically don't respond to the reports (there isn't really a mechanism for doing that anyway), we do read every single one.

We can't possibly monitor all threads 24/7. In fact, late last night we had some reports that were a great help.

By all means, please report bad posts.

Definitely, report any bad posts. You make us look much sharper than we really are by doing it. :tongue:

Ivan Seeking said:
We can't possibly monitor all threads 24/7. In fact, late last night we had some reports that were a great help.

By all means, please report bad posts.
yes, spuij was getting annoying last night

yomamma said:
yes, spuij was getting annoying last night

... is that codename for Pengwuino by any chance?

no, spuij posted in the guru topic, but his post was deleted. I quoted it tho.

yomamma said:
no, spuij posted in the guru topic, but his post was deleted. I quoted it tho.

... I still suspect a conspiracy is afoot

hmmm...

Okay. There was some trouble-making going on last night, and I wasn't sure if it helped to report all of the different posts or just the different usernames. If it's one person opening new accounts to cause trouble, is it enough to just report one of the posts for each username?

I know I'm not a mentor here, but I do moderate other forums, and I usually tell members to report one post per member per thread. It does annoy me when there are five posts reported and they're all on the same page. Since you can include a message when you report the post, you may as well just mention in the report that there are multiple violations on the page (or thread) by that member you are referring to. That way you don't flood the staff inboxes.

loseyourname said:
I know I'm not a mentor here, but I do moderate other forums, and I usually tell members to report one post per member per thread. It does annoy me when there are five posts reported and they're all on the same page. Since you can include a message when you report the post, you may as well just mention in the report that there are multiple violations on the page (or thread) by that member you are referring to. That way you don't flood the staff inboxes.
Right, I didn't think about the message. :redface: (I'm trying to be 'average' today.)

1. When should I report a post?

You should report a post if it violates the community guidelines or terms of service of the platform you are using. This can include offensive or inappropriate content, spam, or harassment.

2. How do I report a post?

Most platforms have a report button or option that you can click on the post itself. You may also be able to report a post by clicking on the user's profile and finding a report option there.

3. Will my identity be revealed if I report a post?

No, your identity will typically remain anonymous when reporting a post. However, if the post is deemed to be a serious violation, your identity may be disclosed to the appropriate authorities.

4. Can I report a post that I just don't like?

No, reporting a post should be reserved for content that violates the community guidelines or terms of service. Reporting a post simply because you do not like it is not a valid reason and can be considered a misuse of the reporting system.

5. What happens after I report a post?

Depending on the platform, the reported post will be reviewed by a moderator or algorithm to determine if it violates any guidelines. If it is found to be in violation, the post may be removed and the user may face consequences such as a warning, suspension, or ban.