When people talk about the current size of the observable universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the size of the observable universe and whether it refers to the distance of the furthest objects when they emitted their light or their current distance. It is clarified that the observable universe is the furthest distance that we could potentially see at the present cosmological time, and to determine the distance when the light was emitted, the current distance must be multiplied by the "scale factor." The concept of distances increasing faster than the speed of light in an expanding universe is also discussed, and it is explained that in special relativity, the observable universe cannot be bigger than twice the age of the universe, but in general relativity, distances can increase faster than the speed of light due to the expansion of space.
TobyC
Could I just quickly derail this thread and ask that frequently asked question?

When people talk about the current size of the observable universe, are they talking about how far away the furthest objects were when they emitted their light? Or how far away the furthest objects will be now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

TobyC said:
Could I just quickly derail this thread and ask that frequently asked question?

When people talk about the current size of the observable universe, are they talking about how far away the furthest objects were when they emitted their light? Or how far away the furthest objects will be now?
How far the furthest objects that we could potentially see (at some point in their past) are at the present cosmological time. To figure out how far they were when the light was emitted, you have to take their present distance and multiply by the "scale factor" which is a function of redshift, see here.

JesseM said:
How far the furthest objects that we could potentially see (at some point in their past) are at the present cosmological time. To figure out how far they were when the light was emitted, you have to take their present distance and multiply by the "scale factor" which is a function of redshift, see here.

Great thanks, I was confused by how the observable universe could be bigger than the age, but this explains it :smile:

TobyC said:
Great thanks, I was confused by how the observable universe could be bigger than the age, but this explains it :smile:
Well, in special relativity it wouldn't make sense for the radius of the observable universe to be more than twice the age * c, since we'd just now be seeing the light from something that was 13.7 billion light years away 13.7 billion years ago, and even if that object was moving away from us arbitrarily close to the speed of light it could not have traveled more than an additional 13.7 billion light years in that time. So if you think in those terms, a radius of 46 billion light years should be impossible! But in general relativity it is quite possible for the proper distance to a galaxy to increase faster than the speed of light due to the expansion of space, see the discussion in the third paragraph in this section of the wiki "comoving distance" article.

JesseM said:
Well, in special relativity it wouldn't make sense for the radius of the observable universe to be more than twice the age * c, since we'd just now be seeing the light from something that was 13.7 billion light years away 13.7 billion years ago, and even if that object was moving away from us arbitrarily close to the speed of light it could not have traveled more than an additional 13.7 billion light years in that time. So if you think in those terms, a radius of 46 billion light years should be impossible! But in general relativity it is quite possible for the proper distance to a galaxy to increase faster than the speed of light due to the expansion of space, see the discussion in the third paragraph in this section of the wiki "comoving distance" article.

Yeah I'm ok with distances increasing faster than the speed of light, I can understand how that's allowed by general relativity, it's just I still couldn't understand how the observable universe could be bigger in size than twice the age until what you said about the radius being the distance of the further objects now rather than the distance when they emitted the light. Which makes sense really, I just hadn't thought about it properly before.

Just out of interest, in an expanding universe wouldn't the observable universe still be bigger than twice the age even if the distances weren't increasing faster than the speed of light? Because the furthest object will be further away 'now' than when it emitted the light.

TobyC said:
Yeah I'm ok with distances increasing faster than the speed of light, I can understand how that's allowed by general relativity, it's just I still couldn't understand how the observable universe could be bigger in size than twice the age until what you said about the radius being the distance of the further objects now rather than the distance when they emitted the light.
When I said that in SR objects shouldn't be at a distance of more than twice the age, I was talking about their distance now, not the distance when they emitted the light. In SR it would be impossible for us to be seeing light from any objects whose distance now is more than twice the age.
TobyC said:
Just out of interest, in an expanding universe wouldn't the observable universe still be bigger than twice the age even if the distances weren't increasing faster than the speed of light? Because the furthest object will be further away 'now' than when it emitted the light.
No it couldn't, that was my point. In SR, if we can see the light from an object today, then the distance when it emitted that light can't have been more than 13.7 billion light-years away in a universe only 13.7 billion years old (if it emitted light from greater than that distance, the light wouldn't have had time to reach us by today). So if it was receding at just under the speed of light, its distance today could have increased by no more than an additional 13.7 billion light years, giving a maximum distance today of 13.7 billion + 13.7 billion light years, i.e. twice the age * c.

it is simply how far into the past we can observe.

1. What is the current size of the observable universe?

The current size of the observable universe is estimated to be around 93 billion light years in diameter.

2. How do scientists measure the size of the observable universe?

Scientists measure the size of the observable universe by using astronomical tools such as telescopes and satellites to observe and map distant galaxies and their movements.

3. Has the size of the observable universe always been the same?

No, the size of the observable universe is constantly changing as the universe expands. The rate of expansion is also affected by factors such as dark energy and dark matter.

4. Can we see all parts of the observable universe?

No, we can only see the parts of the observable universe that have had enough time for their light to reach us since the beginning of the universe. This is because the speed of light is finite and the universe is constantly expanding, making some parts inaccessible to us.

5. Is the observable universe the same as the entire universe?

No, the observable universe is only a small fraction of the entire universe. The universe is thought to be much larger than the observable universe and may even be infinite in size.