When the Schwarzschild radius is inside the star

In summary, the Schwarzschild metric breaks down for an isolated non-rotating body when the horizon radius is inside the body. This is because the metric is only valid in empty space, and for an object with a radius less than the Schwarzschild radius, the metric is not valid. Inside the star, a different metric is required, such as the Tolman-Oppenheimer metric, which can be solved analytically for a constant-density spherical star. However, for more realistic models, numerical solutions are required. The term "interior Schwarzschild solution" can refer to either the spacetime inside the event horizon of a black hole or the non-singular solution inside a spherically symmetric, constant density object.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What happens to the Schwarzschild metric for an isolated non-rotating body when the horizon radius is inside the body? As I remember from classical physics all of the gravitational pull on an object inside a shell cancels out so it would seem that the horizon radius can not include any mass outside of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi lavinia! :smile:
lavinia said:
What happens to the Schwarzschild metric for an isolated non-rotating body when the horizon radius is inside the body? As I remember from classical physics all of the gravitational pull on an object inside a shell cancels out so it would seem that the horizon radius can not include any mass outside of it.

yes :smile:

another way of looking at it is that the Schwarzschild metric is only valid in empty space …

find the Schwarzschild radius from the actual mass, then if that is less than the radius R of the body, the Schwarzschild metric is valid for r > R :wink:

(eg the metric in the empty space outside the Sun is the Schwarzschild metric for a black hole with the same mass as the Sun)

When the Schwarzschild radius is inside the star.
Just to make sure it's clear, that is always the case for a star.

tiny-tim said:
hi lavinia! :smile:

yes :smile:

another way of looking at it is that the Schwarzschild metric is only valid in empty space …

find the Schwarzschild radius from the actual mass, then if that is less than the radius R of the body, the Schwarzschild metric is valid for r > R :wink:

(eg the metric in the empty space outside the Sun is the Schwarzschild metric for a black hole with the same mass as the Sun)

Thanks Tiny-tim! So the metric breaks down inside the star. That makes sense. What happens to the metric?

There is a different metric for inside of a spherically symmetric body. It matches Swarzschild metric at the boundary (surface). There's a name for it, but I don't recall what that name is. I'm also not sure if there is an analytic solution for it, or if it's purely numerical.

lavinia said:
Thanks Tiny-tim! So the metric breaks down inside the star. That makes sense. What happens to the metric?

It just isn't valid in the interior of the star. If R > 2M and you come to r = R you won't really see anything happen in the metric but since this metric is a vacuum solution it can only be allowed to describe anything for r > R. If you want to describe the interior you will have to solve the EFEs, possibly with spherical symmetry conditions applied, for a non - vanishing Stress - Energy tensor (such as that of a static fluid to get the solution for the interior of a static, spherically symmetric star).

K^2 said:
There is a different metric for inside of a spherically symmetric body. It matches Swarzschild metric at the boundary (surface). There's a name for it, but I don't recall what that name is. I'm also not sure if there is an analytic solution for it, or if it's purely numerical.

Oh the Tolman - Oppenheimer equation? - [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} p}{\mathrm{d} r} = \frac{{(\rho + p)(m(r) + 4\pi r^{3}p)}}{r(r - 2m(r))}[/tex] where [itex]m(r) = \frac{1}{2}r(1 - e^{-2\Lambda })[/itex] and you have the equation [tex](\rho + p)\frac{\mathrm{d} \Phi }{\mathrm{d} r} = \frac{\mathrm{d} p}{\mathrm{d} r}[/tex] to get the metric. I also believe there is no analytic solution for it but I could be wrong.

WannabeNewton said:
Oh the Tolman - Oppenheimer equation? - [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} p}{\mathrm{d} r} = \frac{{(\rho + p)(m(r) + 4\pi r^{3}p)}}{r(r - 2m(r))}[/tex] where [itex]m(r) = \frac{1}{2}r(1 - e^{-2\Lambda })[/itex] and you have the equation [tex](\rho + p)\frac{\mathrm{d} \Phi }{\mathrm{d} r} = \frac{\mathrm{d} p}{\mathrm{d} r}[/tex] to get the metric. I also believe there is no analytic solution for it but I could be wrong.

An equation of state [itex]p = p \left(\rho \right)[/itex] also is needed. For realistic models (eauations of state), this is done numerically, but Schwarzschild solved Einstein's equation analytically for a constant-density spherical star, with result
[tex]
g=\left( \frac{3}{2}\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{R}}-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{1-\frac{2Mr^{2}}{R^{3}}}\right) ^{2}dt^{2}-\left( 1-\frac{2Mr^{2}}{R^{3}}\right) ^{-1}dr^{2}-r^{2}\left( d\theta ^{2}+\sin ^{2}\theta d\phi ^{2}\right).
[/tex]

Unfortunately, the term "interior Schwarzschild solution" can refer to either of two very different metrics (solutions to Einstein's equation):

1) spacetime inside the event horizon of the Schwarzschild black hole solution, where there "is a singularity";

2) the non-singular solution inside a spherically symmetric, constant density massive object.

1. What is the Schwarzschild radius?

The Schwarzschild radius is a measure of the size of the event horizon, or the point of no return, of a black hole. It is calculated based on the mass and density of an object.

2. How does the Schwarzschild radius relate to stars?

If the mass of a star is compressed enough, its Schwarzschild radius can become smaller than its actual radius. This means that the star has become a black hole, as its event horizon now encompasses its entire mass.

3. Why does the Schwarzschild radius being inside a star matter?

If the Schwarzschild radius is inside a star, it means that the star has collapsed and become a black hole. This has significant implications for the star's gravitational pull and the behavior of matter and light around it.

4. Can a star's Schwarzschild radius ever be inside it?

Yes, if a star has a large enough mass and is compressed enough, its Schwarzschild radius can be inside it. This is known as a black hole and marks the end of a star's life cycle.

5. How is the Schwarzschild radius calculated?

The Schwarzschild radius is calculated using the equation Rs = 2GM/c², where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object, and c is the speed of light. It is a measure of the radius at which the escape velocity would equal the speed of light.