1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to ask the homogeneous question

1. May 17, 2010 #1

TG3

When determining a particular solution to a differential equation, one of the necessary steps is to ask the "homogeneous question" aka Does any term in yp solve the homogeneous equation for this problem. When it does, I know that it is necessary to multiple by t.

My question is, do I multiply yp by T and then derive, or do I derive and then multiply by T?

For example, A cos(t) solves the homogeneous equation for a problem I'm working on. Do I derive it first:
    y(p) = Acos(T)
    Y'(p) = -Asin(T)
    Y''(p) = -Acos(T)
    And then multiply each of those by T, or do I multiply by T first and then derive? It makes a big difference!

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try to keep your variables straight. t and T usually have different meanings.
    The short answer is you multiply by t first.

If cos(t) is a solution to the homogeneous equation, then so is sin(t), so your particular solution can't be a linear combination of cos(t) and sin(t). In this case, your particular solution will include Atcos(t) + Btsin(t), unless of course, tcos(t) and tsin(t) happen to be solutions of the homogeneous equation. If that happens, then your particular solution will include t2cos(t) and t2sin(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook