When to Buy a "New" Car if Driving a High Mileage Old One?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary: Interesting. :-pIf n is large, buy another car. However, if n is small, the car may still last "forever" as long as it is taken care of. My 2004 Honda Civic has 208,000 miles on it. My Dodge Caravan has 280,000 miles on it and it still runs perfectly. I put 280,000 on a Dodge Caravan and gave it to a neighbor. He put on another 40,000 on before wrecking it. My advice is to take care of the car so it lasts as long as possible.
My 06 Tundra has 216,000 miles on it and looks and runs brand new. I would sell my mother before I sold my truck. Take care of your ride and it will last a very long time. Unless it's a Dodge...

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Do those driving really old cars think new safety features are worth getting a new car?
By themselves, I wouldn't say they're worth getting a new car, but there's been many more advances in technology. Things like keyless ignition and heated seats are standard features on many models now, and they make a big difference. Bluetooth and a USB port are really convenient to have. My elderly mom loves having the backup camera, the blind spot monitor, and the rear cross-traffic alert in her car. Depending on what your current car has, you might find the overall upgrade enticing even though no one feature is a must-have.

kyphysics said:
Not sure which ones you're thinking of, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that would make me that much safer.
Ideally, one is already a safe driver. Many of the new features make it easier to be a safe driver. Some features, like side-impact air bags, will make it safer for occupants in the car in case of an accident. The best driving habits in the world won't protect you from the idiot who runs a red light and t-bones your car in the middle of an intersection.

vela said:
The best driving habits in the world won't protect you from the idiot who runs a red light and t-bones your car in the middle of an intersection.
I try and peek both sides when approaching an intersection when I have green. I suppose at a fast enough speed it wouldn't make a difference. I also do not gun the light when it changes green and look both ways before I go. I see people speeding through an early red every day here.

greg makes a good point about safety in #22. the only reason i can think of to get a new car if yours is still running is if your old car does not have an airbag. that could save your life or that of your loved ones. i had to replace my 1985 honda civic after 350 thousand miles when it was hit from behind and my mechanic got tired of working on it. if you change oil every 3-5,000 miles a honda used to last easily 200,000 miles and more.

otherwise, make a chart. tires go 30-40 thou or more, brakes go about 30 thou, you need a clutch every so often, etc... None of these are remotely as costly as a new car. when the cylinders need replacing or the engine, then you might think about it. but air conditioners fail quickly in an old honda and you might have sensitive passengers. honda civics were also notoriously unsafe in an accident, beause they were small.

cars have attributes roughly of safety, economy of operation, reliability, initial cost, comfort, handling, and looks. decide what matters to you. with a new car you may gain in comfort, looks, reliability, but lose big in initial cost. it's mostly math.

oh yes, there is the social aspect. my mom once broke up with a guy who drove her around in a "horse and buggy" in favor of another swain who had a car. so you might also get more dates with a new car, if you are in that category.

mathwonk said:
greg makes a good point about safety in #22. the only reason i can think of to get a new car if yours is still running is if your old car does not have an airbag.
I don't know cars, but it's amazing to me that we haven't made general improvements to car safety via materials and design in the past 20-30 years.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't know cars, but it's amazing to me that we haven't made general improvements to car safety via materials and design in the past 20-30 years.

Hmm i guess it was that long ago they came up with "Crumple Zones" .
Didn't need them in a 5000 pound Buick with fenders that're thick as today's bumpers. My kids still have Aunt Hazel's '65 Electra . The ash tray weighs a good pound and a half.

jim hardy said:
Didn't need them in a 5000 pound Buick with fenders that're thick as today's bumpers. My kids still have Aunt Hazel's '65 Electra . The ash tray weighs a good pound and a half.
Sure about that? :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Sure about that? :)
They hit it in the side on purpose.
Those old Chevys had an X frame with no structure out by the doors. I was a Ford guy back then, they had a rectangular frame and marketeers leapt on the Chevy X-frame for just the reason your picture demonstrates..

Auto industry has come a long way.

But I'm old enough to remember those commercials.

We recently got a 2013 Subaru.
Instead of a timing belt (the replacement of which we were figuring into cost and future maintenance costs) the Subaru has a timing chain.
It is not supposed to need changing within the expected lifetime of the car.
If that's true, seems all cars should have these?

I suspect timing chains also eventually need changing, unless your expected lifetime is a lot shorter than mine, but not as often.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=how+often+to+change+a+timing+chain&oq=how+=oftwn+tochange+a+timing+chain&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30k1l2.1398.7175.0.10157.37.29.1.0.0.0.638.3697.10j9j2j0j1j1.23.0...0...1.1.64.psy-ab..13.24.3684.0..0j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i20k1j0i13i30k1j0i22i10i30k1.AvqElfPrzJYAs far as safety, I have been rear-ended in a tiny honda civic hatchback with crumple zones by a ford F150 truck. I walked away but my car was totalled (like an accordion) while the ford was hardly scratched. In fact the other driver, who was at fault, drove off, lied about it, and there was not enough damage to his truck to prove he had been in an accident.

Ten years later I was t-boned, at the front right wheel well, by a buick while in my BMW 525 with air bags, and both my son and I walked away. me with a sprained hand from hitting the windshield. My BMW was also totalled. I did cry though, since that was such a nice car, but in hindsight the best thing it did was save our lives.

Oh yes, some insurance companies also consider such events as "incidents" that lower your reliability rating, and raise your premium, even if the fault is entirely the other party's and was unavoidable.

so enhancing safety may also involve moving to a less accident prone area, (not atlanta).

Last edited:
My '01 chevy silverado has 140K miles on it. I was thinking about getting rid of it, but after thinking about it for months, I just might keep it for the time being. I put some money into it to get it back in fighting shape, rear breaks totally redone, new fuel lines and brake lines. No Bluetooth and the after market Bluetooth products just aren't that good because there is no aux jack to hook into the radio. I suppose I could put a new radio in the dash, that way I could get the loose connection for the odometer fixed. Only three rust spots, still in pretty good shape, the clear coat has dissolved away over the years in the sun, so I have to wash and wax it regularly to keep the paint from coming off, all in all, a good truck still.

<h2>1. When is the best time to buy a new car if I am currently driving a high mileage old one?</h2><p>The best time to buy a new car when driving a high mileage old one is when the cost of repairs and maintenance starts to outweigh the value of the car. This can vary depending on the make and model of your car, but typically it is recommended to consider purchasing a new car when your current one has reached around 150,000 miles.</p><h2>2. How do I determine the value of my current car?</h2><p>The value of your current car can be determined by researching its make, model, year, and mileage on websites such as Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds. You can also consult with a trusted mechanic or car dealership for an estimate of its value.</p><h2>3. What factors should I consider when deciding to buy a new car?</h2><p>When deciding to buy a new car, you should consider your budget, lifestyle, and needs. Think about the type of car you need (e.g. sedan, SUV, etc.), fuel efficiency, safety features, and any specific features you may want. It is also important to research the reliability and maintenance costs of different car models.</p><h2>4. Is it better to trade in my old car or sell it privately?</h2><p>This depends on your personal preference and the value of your old car. Trading in your car at a dealership may be more convenient, but you may not get as much money for it compared to selling it privately. However, selling it privately may take more time and effort.</p><h2>5. Should I consider purchasing a used car instead of a new one?</h2><p>Purchasing a used car can be a more affordable option, but it is important to thoroughly research the car's history and condition before making a purchase. You should also consider any potential maintenance and repair costs that may come with buying a used car. It is recommended to get a pre-purchase inspection from a trusted mechanic before making a decision.</p>

1. When is the best time to buy a new car if I am currently driving a high mileage old one?

The best time to buy a new car when driving a high mileage old one is when the cost of repairs and maintenance starts to outweigh the value of the car. This can vary depending on the make and model of your car, but typically it is recommended to consider purchasing a new car when your current one has reached around 150,000 miles.

2. How do I determine the value of my current car?

The value of your current car can be determined by researching its make, model, year, and mileage on websites such as Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds. You can also consult with a trusted mechanic or car dealership for an estimate of its value.

3. What factors should I consider when deciding to buy a new car?

When deciding to buy a new car, you should consider your budget, lifestyle, and needs. Think about the type of car you need (e.g. sedan, SUV, etc.), fuel efficiency, safety features, and any specific features you may want. It is also important to research the reliability and maintenance costs of different car models.

4. Is it better to trade in my old car or sell it privately?

This depends on your personal preference and the value of your old car. Trading in your car at a dealership may be more convenient, but you may not get as much money for it compared to selling it privately. However, selling it privately may take more time and effort.

5. Should I consider purchasing a used car instead of a new one?

Purchasing a used car can be a more affordable option, but it is important to thoroughly research the car's history and condition before making a purchase. You should also consider any potential maintenance and repair costs that may come with buying a used car. It is recommended to get a pre-purchase inspection from a trusted mechanic before making a decision.