Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When To Find Dervitives,how To Find Dervitives

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYBODY KNOWS HOW TO FIND DERVITIVE OR WHEN TO FIND A DERVITIVE AND WHEN DO WE USE THIS SYMBOL FOR EXAMPLE [tex]\Delta[/tex] WHAT DOES THIS MEAN AND WHEN DO YOU USE IT

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2
    Wikipedia explains what the derivative is pictorially (tangent line).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative

It also gives the mathematical deffinition as well as several rules you can apply to easily get the derivative. On reason you might want to compute the derivative is to calculate the velocity if you are given a bunch of position measurements over time.

4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    Writing everything in CAPTIALS is considered screaming and impolite, you might want to think about your manners if you're asking for help although we are in the "so-very-anonymous" internet.

Thanks.

5. Feb 28, 2008 #4
    thanks

thanks for the info :)

6. Feb 28, 2008 #5
    you're very welcome:smile:

7. Feb 28, 2008 #6
    Why To Find Derivitives

We find derivitives to get
    = quantities like VELOCITY,ACCELERATION etc. .which explains the cause of change in a quantity(like change in position due to velocity,change in velocity due to acceleration & hence indirectly changing displacement due to new velocity)

= to DERIVE differential equation(i.e. equation in terms of derivatives)
    lets see what i mean..

say x = t² ('x' in terms of "t")
    → v = 2t
    → t = v/2
    now x = t²
    → x = (v/2)²
    → x = v²/4 ('x' in terms of derivitive "v"). . .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?