1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to tell your boss your quitting if they're busy all day

1. May 18, 2015 #1
    I received a job offer I'm accepting, but my boss has been out of town this last week. Understandably, he is swamped today, but I have to tell him for the two weeks notice. So, my question is when should I tell him? At the first free moment?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2
    I vote first thing.

Say "Welcome back! I quit!"

Wait! Maybe be more diplomatic than that. . .

4. May 18, 2015 #3

donpacino

Gold Member

do you guys use outlook. Setup a 15 minute appointment at the first available time to tell him. Unless he is swamped for emergencies (ex. angry customers, external meetings, etc). You can do the formal stuff later

5. May 18, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes, first thing. For something like this you need to interrupt him, not just wait for a free moment.

Also, it will be good to follow-up with an e-mail to get a recorded date and time for the notification.

6. May 18, 2015 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Usually you're supposed to give notice like this in writing, so prepare a letter.

Beyond that I would book some time to tell you boss face to face. Email him and tell him that you need to meet with him by a certain date. If he is unavailable in that time frame, you should at least tell his designate (the person looking after the shop while he is away). Either way book a specific meeting so that you're not trying to slide the matter in on top of something else.

7. May 18, 2015 #6
    I think it depends on the job. If I am working at McDonald's I'm not writing a resignation letter :)

8. May 18, 2015 #7
    Why you gotta kick McDonald's when they are down?? ;)

9. May 25, 2015 #8

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The resignation letter is good. Usually it needs a signed paper copy. Putting this signed copy on your boss's desk is usually acceptable. Though sending an email in addition is ok. Include the date. Keep it short and professional.

Just keep in mind when you quit: One day you might want to come back to this place. And one day the company you are going to might do business with the company you are leaving.

No matter the feelings you may have had, a pleasant exit is not expensive and may get you a lot in terms of good will later.

10. Jul 20, 2015 #9
    Just keep in mind when you quit: One day you might want to come back to this place. And one day the company you are going to might do business with the company you are leaving.

No matter the feelings you may have had, a pleasant exit is not expensive and may get you a lot in terms of good will later.[/QUOTE]

Good advise...

11. Jul 20, 2015 #10

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One additional thing that hasn't been mentioned: make sure you understand your current employers' policies. Where I work, Human Resources must be involved. I must give HR at least two weeks notice as well, and usually that is done after meeting with a manager/boss (you don't want your boss to find out you are leaving from HR!).

Also, lingesh is right. Make the leave pleasant and do what you can to wrap up and/or hand-off work. You never know what doors you may need to walk through in the future.

jason

12. Jul 20, 2015 #11
    Oh I made a mistake while quoting that...actually it s from DEvens..

13. Jul 22, 2015 #12
    As soon as possible. If he's really busy, pull him aside and tell him, because someone handing in their resignation is kind of a big deal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook