Advice on Next Steps - What to Do in Predicament

• Other
  • Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is currently facing a potential job loss and has been applying to other positions. They have received an offer for a part-time job with potential for full-time, but also have second interviews coming up for full-time positions. They are wondering if it is acceptable to accept the part-time job and then quit when the full-time offer becomes available. The group advises caution and suggests negotiating for more time or being honest with the potential employers about the situation. They also caution against burning bridges and recommend carefully reviewing the contract before accepting any job offer.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone!

I am currently in a bit of a predicament and would like to have some feedback from all of you. I have been working on a lucrative full-time contract job which is set to end by the end of this year, but I suspect that my contract may not be renewed due to less work than was originally forecast. Due to this, I've been applying to various places.

I've interviewed at several companies, and I have just heard back today from one contractor of a part-time short-term (but well-paid) is available (with the potential for a full-time job), and they want to know by next week when and whether I will be available. At the same time, I have a round of second interviews coming up this Thursday for a full-time permanent position with one company and for another company next Monday.

The truth is that I feel that I have a strong chance of getting an offer from one or both of these positions, but I already have an offer for the (part-time) position. Is it acceptable for me to accept the part-time position, and then immediately quit when the full-time offer becomes available? Or is this unacceptable?

I really appreciate any opinions that any of you may have on this regard.

Physics news on Phys.org
StatGuy2000 said:
Is it acceptable for me to accept the part-time position, and then immediately quit when the full-time offer becomes available? Or is this unacceptable?
For me personally, I would make it clear that I'm only available on a month-to-month basis for the first 6 months or so (to let the other job offers sort out). What is the nature of this work? Is it easily transferable from person-to-person (from you to whoever takes over for you when you leave), or is continuity needed? I know that at my engineering work, continuity is important, and we invest a LOT of extra work training up new engineers...

Can you afford risk? It sounds like you're more interested in the potential offers rather than what you have right now; however: It's less risky if you accept the current offer at the cost of not the most ideal opportunity I've been told to take caution in accepting first offers, or maybe you can ask them for more time- don't waste their time either!

I would let the companies that you're still interviewing for know that you have an offer elsewhere and that you'd like to expedite the process. If they can't make it move fast enough, you can tell the company that you already have an offer from that you are still in last round interviews elsewhere and need more time to consider the offer. Now it's going to depend on the field and whatnot, but often it is not easy to find suitable candidates for highly skilled jobs, so not only have I found hiring managers very flexible, but it also plays to your advantage in salary negotiations when you say and can prove that you have multiple offers. It's not like anyone in a competitive market and when the candidate is forced to move to a new job, thinks that their company alone is so special that you only applied there, anyway.

StatGuy2000 said:
The truth is that I feel that I have a strong chance of getting an offer from one or both of these positions, but I already have an offer for the (part-time) position. Is it acceptable for me to accept the part-time position, and then immediately quit when the full-time offer becomes available? Or is this unacceptable?

I really appreciate any opinions that any of you may have on this regard.

I tend to think this depends on the fine print in the contract as well as the laws of the state that govern the contract.

But generally I'm not cool with accepting a position (as if you'll definitely show up) but really planning to bail on it if you get a better offer.

When you get the verbal offer, you could express that you are favorably inclined to accept, but don't offer a firm acceptance until you get the offer in writing and have a chance to review it. This both buys some time and let's you see the terms of the written contract if you have not already.

dont burn bridges, you may be back talking to any or all of these companies in a few years.

1. What should I do if I am in a difficult situation?

In a difficult situation, it is important to take a step back and assess the situation. Identify the problem or predicament and brainstorm possible solutions. Consider seeking advice from trusted individuals or professionals, and make a plan to address the issue.

2. How do I determine the best course of action in a difficult situation?

When determining the best course of action, it is important to consider all possible options and their potential consequences. Weigh the pros and cons of each option and choose the one that aligns with your values and goals. Seeking advice from others can also help you gain different perspectives and make a more informed decision.

3. What if I am unsure of what the right decision is in a predicament?

If you are unsure of what the right decision is, take some time to reflect on your values and priorities. Consider seeking advice from trusted individuals and gathering more information about the situation. Remember that it is okay to make mistakes and learn from them.

4. How do I handle a difficult situation that involves other people?

In a difficult situation involving other people, communication is key. Be open and honest in your communication and try to understand the other person's perspective. Avoid blaming or attacking others and focus on finding a solution that is mutually beneficial.

5. How do I move on from a difficult situation?

Moving on from a difficult situation can be challenging, but it is important to focus on self-care and self-reflection. Take time to process your emotions and learn from the experience. Identify any lessons or insights that can help you in the future. Remember that it is okay to seek support from others during this time.