1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When will there exist solutions to ax + (a+2)y = c?

1. Jun 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When will there exist solutions to ax + (a+2)y = c?

2. Relevant equations

GCD

3. The attempt at a solution

Of course, this is a linear Diophantine equation. I know that a solution will exist when gcd(a, (a+2)) | c.

gcd(a, (a+2)) = d ⇒ ∃ x,y ∈ ℤ ∋ xa + y(a+2) = d

a = 0(a+2) + a
    a+2 = (a) + 2
    a = β(2) + r

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

gcd(a, (a+2)) has a shorter expression.
    Not sure what the last three lines are saying.

4. Jun 3, 2015 #3
    I just started the algorithm for finding the GCD, but I don't think that I actually need to find an expression.

Hm. Well, I know that a and a+2 are both odd or even depending on a.

5. Jun 3, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you forgotten to tell us whether or not a, c, x, y are positive (non-negative?) integers?

6. Jun 3, 2015 #5
    Partially. a, b ∈ ℕ and x, y ∈ ℤ and 1 ≤ d ≤ min{a,b}.

7. Jun 4, 2015 #6
    If you want to solve mu+nv = d when m and n are relatively prime, you should be able to find a specific solution with Bezout theorem. With that specific solution, you should be able to find a general solution (u,v) without too much difficulty.

The thing is that ax +(a+2) y = c has not that form, or at least not always. Why ? Mfb gave you a good hint. Think about it

8. Jun 4, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think you should, as the final expression is very easy. It is a bit like leaving 4+5 in a final answer. It is not wrong in terms of mathematics, but you should replace it by 9.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted