1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When will velocities of the trains equal?

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A train having a velocity of x m/s is caught by a train accelerating from zero 20 seconds after the second train starts. At what time were their velocities equal?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking that you'd have to assume that the train with x velocity is traveling with constant velocity and that the second train starts at t=t-20 s. However, I'm confused as to how I would find when their velocities would be equal.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How far does the first train travel?

4. Sep 30, 2015 #3
    So in 20 s, the first train has traveled x=x0+v0t+.5at^2. well I assumed it started from rest, so x=.5a(400) or 200a m.

5. Oct 1, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd call that the second train from my reading of the problem statement. Let's tidy up the statement a bit so we're both discussing the same trains. "Train A is moving at a constant velocity of x m/s. As it pulls even with Train B, Train B accelerates from 0 at a constant rate, and pulls even with A after 20 seconds. At what time are the two velocities equal?"

Now, I ask how far does Train A travel?

6. Oct 1, 2015 #5
    I'm sorry I'm confused?

7. Oct 1, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to say exactly what is confusing you. Bystander's description of the problem is correct. I'll try to make it more concrete.
    At t=0, both trains are at s=0. Train A is moving at constant speed x, train B is stationary.
    Train B then accelerates at some unknown constant (we must assume) rate a. At t=20, the trains have travelled the same distance. Train B must now be moving faster than train A.
    At what time was train B moving at speed x?

Bystander is asking you, first, how far train A travelled in those 20 seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted