1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Where can i find a legend of all of the symbols used in phys

1. Jul 24, 2016 #1
    i can follow the equations but i dont know what the symbols mean

for quantum and astro would be best

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_physical_quantities
    or mathematical symbols? Since physics is bigger than our various alphabets, it might well be that different authors use different forms of notation. Usually their usage can be found at the end or the beginning of textbooks. There are several conventions, some depend on the context. You will naturally adopt them when you study physics.

4. Jul 24, 2016 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you look one in one book, they used "V" for potential energy, but in another, they used "U" for potential energy. I often see "W" as work function, while another use φ.

You have a faulty idea that there is an unambiguous, universal agreement for something like this. There isn't!

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted